New grad Cardio offer

Hi all! Looking for some help on a contract I was offered. Wondering if it is a good deal or what negotiations should be made. I'm not sure how flexible they will be but really wanting to make sure I'm getting a good deal and coming out of school I'm not sure what to expect. 

Cardiology job offer, privately owned practice with 5-10 docs

1 weekend call per month (included in salary), able to pick up additional weekends for 1.5x time pay

2 weeks vacation, 1 week sick, 4 days CME 

6 paid holidays, rotating basis for needing to work 1 holiday / year

4 days CME/ $1000 funds; They will also pay licensing/DEA/and state/national organization fees

Insurance- They pay $300/month, have not yet figured out what premiums typically are, also doesn't kick in until 90 days after start of employment

Malpractice- claims coverage, states tail coverage is not responsibility of employer

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much. 

What part of the US is this? Overall this is a pretty weak offer. Overall compensation is too low, vacation is too low, insurance coverage is weak, and claims without tail included is personally a complete no go (adding tail coverage yourself can be prohibitively expensive). There might be too many flaws to get a reasonable counter offer accepted, but I would counter with at least 100 - 105k, 3 weeks vacation + 1 week sick + CME time, 1500 CME funds, and claims with tail. 

I could handle the salary and PTO (2 vacation + 1 sick is 3 weeks of personal time, not terrible) but the benefits are blah.  What does call entail?  Ideally that would be additional pay (or you should negotiate higher salary for sure).  What are your hours?  Is this 40 hrs per week?  Great.  Are you going to be the workhorse doing 80-90?  $95k is low then.

$300 for insurance if you're buying on the open market isn't going to get you very far.  Not kicking in until 90 days isn't ideal but also not unheard of and the least of your problems.

CME is light but again, the least of your problems.  I'd prioritize negotiating salary, bennies, and malpractice.

You want your employer to pay tail coverage.  Period.  

I'm going to assume no, but any 401k/retirement?

It's not the worst I've seen but it's not great.

2 hours ago, drybones said:

What part of the US is this? Overall this is a pretty weak offer. Overall compensation is too low, vacation is too low, insurance coverage is weak, and claims without tail included is personally a complete no go (adding tail coverage yourself can be prohibitively expensive). There might be too many flaws to get a reasonable counter offer accepted, but I would counter with at least 100 - 105k, 3 weeks vacation + 1 week sick + CME time, 1500 CME funds, and claims with tail. 

This is in Arizona. Thanks so much for your advice. I also though the malpractice was a big issue as I would want tail coverage. I’ve looked into occurrence coverage on my own and was going to propose they could reimburse too as an option. Thanks again!!!

1 hour ago, MT2PA said:

I could handle the salary and PTO (2 vacation + 1 sick is 3 weeks of personal time, not terrible) but the benefits are blah.  What does call entail?  Ideally that would be additional pay (or you should negotiate higher salary for sure).  What are your hours?  Is this 40 hrs per week?  Great.  Are you going to be the workhorse doing 80-90?  $95k is low then.

$300 for insurance if you're buying on the open market isn't going to get you very far.  Not kicking in until 90 days isn't ideal but also not unheard of and the least of your problems.

CME is light but again, the least of your problems.  I'd prioritize negotiating salary, bennies, and malpractice.

You want your employer to pay tail coverage.  Period.  

I'm going to assume no, but any 401k/retirement?

It's not the worst I've seen but it's not great.

Thanks for your response!!! 

Call is 1 weekend per month, it could be 8-5 but sounds like it’s frequently 8-5. 

From speaking with the other mid level they said they are always out by 5pm so I think it would be pretty close to the 40-45 hour mark. 

There is 401k (after 1 year) but nothing in the contract about matching. Thought this was strange as most places I see offer a match. 

Thanks once again for your input! 

Archived