Rural job offer decision

Hey everyone. I recently came back from a job interview in rural Montana working for a small hospital system walk-in clinic. I’ve worked in urgent care for a year and so the volume at this clinic would be much more forgiving. A friend of mine works as a PA for this walk in clinic and has recruited me for months for this job. I received the offer a few days ago, of which i knew what it was prior to the interview:

$130,000 salary 

$10,000 sign on bonus

$20,000 in loan repayment from the hospital but is taxed. If i apply through the state program anything i receive through the state isn’t taxed and this hospital will cover the rest up to $20k. 

$800 monthly housing stipend for 2 years

Monday through Friday working 8 hours with a manageable amount of patients seen especially now with 2 providers. No weekends. There is one Saturday every 6-8 weeks where i would cover 9-noon and will be compensated $500 for it.

26 days PTO

$15,000 in relocation reimbursement 

great people at the hospital and the town. They treated both my wife and myself quite well.

Im not struggling at all with being blown away by the offer. Clearly it’s a great opportunity. My wife and I are excited about the offer but the issue we are having is we plan to go through IVF treatment this late summer and fall. She has a great teaching job that covers most of the costs for the treatment. We’ve pushed this off and saved for it for now. She would be devastated starting treatment, selling our house, moving, etc with the potential of not getting pregnant in process. She is also afraid of losing her insurance for future fertility treatments if we move and take this position (they agreed to let me come on in January 2019 btw).

I suppose I’m just looking see what are some of your opinions are on this. I understand for me that i can’t wait on what if’s with fertility for something that is concrete. But this is my family we are speaking about and my wife’s well being. Living in Montana doesn’t matter so much as all that i discussed. This is a difficult and exciting decision to make. I’m curious of what some of you may feel, think. Perhaps insight on the best way to handle this from anyone that may be able to relate. I have my thoughts all set on this so far i think....

Have you considered moving to MT before your wife does? Perhaps get a lot of the logistics sorted out for a few months and get the results from the IVF before she has to move, and with you there already might be less of a hassle? If you two can manage with long distance for a few months then it may ease the transition. If that isn't an option, then perhaps try and do a lot of the legwork yourself as far as the moving goes?

Unless she is a university professor I don't see the potential salary change and loss of IVF coverage being that much of a burden vs your job offer. Also, MT is a great state to live in, especially if you like the outdoors, also pretty low cost of living.

Thanks for the response. We’ve been considering that actually. I think I will accept the offer it will just have to take a little faith and will power to get through the moving, IVF etc. She understands it’s a great opportunity but i feel for the fact this will be hard on her. We will do what we can 

Archived