Switch Job after 6 months

Okay, so I  have been working for Medicine inpatient for about 6 months now. Before that I worked briefly at a local urgent care - I still work per-diem. I am realizing I like EM/UC type of work a lot more  than inpatient medicine and would like to switch field. Do you think it would look bad on my future resume if I apply and change into an EM position now? Should I at least wait a year? 

If your IM gig isn't toxic and you don't dread your day-to-day, I'd say stick out the remaining 6 months so that it's not an eyesore on your resume. Plus, inpatient experience is worth it's weight in gold when you transition full time to either EM or UC. Once you've got the full year, jump ship to do what you want. Have everything lined up ahead of time so that you can transition smoothly from one position to the next.

If it's toxic or you just absolutely don't want to finish up the full year, just plan to be at your next position for a minimum of 2-3 years so that your CV doesn't paint you as a flighty provider.

Archived