Role of age in hiring?

I am interested in the PA profession and feel I have something to offer. I don't see my 58 years as a barrier to getting my prereqs and getting through school. Might be harder, but I believe I can do it; in fact I'm excited at the prospect of such a challenge. Although I would be 62 upon graduation (at best) I think I would be able to enjoy working in the field for 10 years or so (unless there's forced retirement). The BIG question of course is whether I'd even be considered for jobs as a 62-y-o newly minted PA! I'm mulling over whether to go wild and go for it, or whether to be practical... Any experienced older PAs have any thoughts?

I am interested in the PA profession and feel I have something to offer. I don't see my 58 years as a barrier to getting my prereqs and getting through school. Might be harder, but I believe I can do it; in fact I'm excited at the prospect of such a challenge. Although I would be 62 upon graduation (at best) I think I would be able to enjoy working in the field for 10 years or so (unless there's forced retirement). The BIG question of course is whether I'd even be considered for jobs as a 62-y-o newly minted PA! I'm mulling over whether to go wild and go for it, or whether to be practical... Any experienced older PAs have any thoughts?

I graduated from PA school at 57. Looking back, I believe I wouldn't have been hired for something like neurosurgery or orthopedics. Maybe even ER. I don't fit the profile of what they are looking for ("young, energetic"). Luckily, I am more interested in Family Practice/Urgent Care where different skill sets are needed (ability to listen and communicate, etc) where age doesn't matter.

I graduated from PA school at 57. Looking back, I believe I wouldn't have been hired for something like neurosurgery or orthopedics. Maybe even ER. I don't fit the profile of what they are looking for ("young, energetic"). Luckily, I am more interested in Family Practice/Urgent Care where different skill sets are needed (ability to listen and communicate, etc) where age doesn't matter.

Archived