New Accelerated MD IM program

Will seeing that this article was in Ann Intern Med June 15, 1992, I wondered if there were any follow-up articles on the progress or continuation of this program? I could only find a few articles and they were all written before 2000. I did come across this very short article that gave a fairly good synopsis of these programs.

http://01f21cf.netsolhost.com/short_and_sweet_accelerated.htm

I will agree with you about the bridge programs but what I think it speaks more to is the need to reevaluate our entire system of medical education. We are still training 21st century health care providers in mid-20th century model. What the accelerated internal medicine program and physician assistant programs (prior to the proliferation of Masters degree programs) proved was it doesn't take 4 years of undergraduate, 4 years of medical school and 3 years of a residency to provide high quality patient care services. The problem is the concept of shortening medical training has not been accepted by organized medicine despite the fact there is proof that it can be accomplished. You can have your own opinion is why that is true but I think the driving force behind the lack of acceptance are the academic institutions concerns about their bottom-line.

Will seeing that this article was in Ann Intern Med June 15, 1992, I wondered if there were any follow-up articles on the progress or continuation of this program? I could only find a few articles and they were all written before 2000. I did come across this very short article that gave a fairly good synopsis of these programs.

http://01f21cf.netsolhost.com/short_and_sweet_accelerated.htm

I will agree with you about the bridge programs but what I think it speaks more to is the need to reevaluate our entire system of medical education. We are still training 21st century health care providers in mid-20th century model. What the accelerated internal medicine program and physician assistant programs (prior to the proliferation of Masters degree programs) proved was it doesn't take 4 years of undergraduate, 4 years of medical school and 3 years of a residency to provide high quality patient care services. The problem is the concept of shortening medical training has not been accepted by organized medicine despite the fact there is proof that it can be accomplished. You can have your own opinion is why that is true but I think the driving force behind the lack of acceptance are the academic institutions concerns about their bottom-line.

You can have your own opinion is why that is true but I think the driving force behind the lack of acceptance are the academic institutions concerns about their bottom-line.

The problem with this theory is that even if med school was half as long it would not really effect a school's bottom line, as they could double the number classes they cycled through... And it is not like med schools are short on applicants.

Residencies are another matter though.

You can have your own opinion is why that is true but I think the driving force behind the lack of acceptance are the academic institutions concerns about their bottom-line.

The problem with this theory is that even if med school was half as long it would not really effect a school's bottom line, as they could double the number classes they cycled through... And it is not like med schools are short on applicants.

Residencies are another matter though.

I had a friend that completed a program similar to this. I'm not sure it was directly related to IM, but she did do 3 and 3 (3 for undergrad and 3 for medical school). She said it was very intense to the point where she almost quit. I did hear there were a lot of individuals who couldn't handle the pace.

I had a friend that completed a program similar to this. I'm not sure it was directly related to IM, but she did do 3 and 3 (3 for undergrad and 3 for medical school). She said it was very intense to the point where she almost quit. I did hear there were a lot of individuals who couldn't handle the pace.

Archived