Too Early to Apply?

Long time reader, first time poster here.

I'm looking for a little advice as to what might be appropriate in my current situation. So I'm roughly 10 months from graduation (super distant I know). BUT, my absolute dream job just opened up, trauma PA at a Level 2 Trauma Center (academic facility) where new grads are welcome. This is where it gets interesting, in that I already have a rotation scheduled with this hospital group, which is a huge network near me. Only thing is that rotation is Neurosurgery. 

So my question is this, is it acceptable to contact someone in that department this far out? My thought is that I can tell them I would love to rotate with the trauma team, which would essentially be them training me for a month for free as well as feeling out if I would be a good fit. Thoughts?

You're 10 mo from graduation which realistically means 12+ mo from being employable...you can certainly ask or try to get a rotation with them in case they have a position open in the future but the likelihood that they wait more than a year to fill a position is simply unrealistic.

Agree with the above. 

Also think about your overall PA student training. Yes, a month in the field would be nice to get a feel for the field and company you may want to work for. However, clinicals are also your chance to experience other fields without the recourse of employment. Do a rotation in something you want to do before graduating. If it's trauma, then go for it! Just remember that there's always that chance they will hire someone else.

Archived