Students and Professional Organizations

Hey Students,

I was just wondering about how easy or not so easy it has been for you to be involved in your local PA Organization? Though I am a student in North Carolina, where PAs are well respected, I am originally from IL. I sense a difference between the two states when I talk to practicing PAs. I was wondering how students in other states are feeling supported or if there's good access to PA mentor ship found in Organizations like these.

Thanks

Michele

Hey Students,

I was just wondering about how easy or not so easy it has been for you to be involved in your local PA Organization? Though I am a student in North Carolina, where PAs are well respected, I am originally from IL. I sense a difference between the two states when I talk to practicing PAs. I was wondering how students in other states are feeling supported or if there's good access to PA mentor ship found in Organizations like these.

Thanks

Michele

No idea about mentorship, really, but I've been happy as a member of IAPA. Lots of cheap CME available to students, plus the job board will be nice when I start looking next year. Illinois has done a few good things for PAs recently, but the organization isn't very large or influential. They don't have a lot of money.

I also joined SAAPA, originally so that our class would be eligible for the challenge bowl. I love getting the magazine and reading the online cases.

No idea about mentorship, really, but I've been happy as a member of IAPA. Lots of cheap CME available to students, plus the job board will be nice when I start looking next year. Illinois has done a few good things for PAs recently, but the organization isn't very large or influential. They don't have a lot of money.

I also joined SAAPA, originally so that our class would be eligible for the challenge bowl. I love getting the magazine and reading the online cases.

The CT chapter tends to encourage some very minor collaboration among the PA schools (just a few events per year that I am aware of). They also offer several scholarships to students and there is some opportunity for student leadership positions in the organization.

A lot of people forget that one of the main functions of the AAPA and state chapters is legislative advocacy and lobbying. Monitoring and fighting for the PA-affecting laws in every state and on the national stage requires a huge amount of time and resources.

Mentoring and student support is more likely offered by the actual PA schools, although there are opportunities in the AAPA and state organizations for involved and proactive students.

Archived