What's next?

So first thing's first....Hey everyone!  My last post on this site was almost 10 years ago!  I think I first posted on here when I was 23, single, and wondering where life would take me.  Now I'm 35, married and the father to a 13 mo. boy!  Alright, enough of playing catch up lets get to the crux of the situation: 

So for the last 10 years I have been working in Orthopedics and Sports Medicine.  I work coverage for HS football games as well as coverage for FIU athletics since my supervising physician is the team doc.  I also teach pharmacology to the Athletic Training Program and am the guest Ortho Lecturer for the Physician Assistant Program at FIU.  Now I'm very happy and fulfilled with what I'm doing I can't help but start thinking about what's next. 

Right now I've been toying around with two avenues: Administration or Education.  If I go the administration route I would likely go back to school for a MBA to expand my options.  Now while administration does offer a pretty nice schedule I don't know if my personality is built for it.  There also aren't that many PA's in administrative roles in my current location.  We just recently established "supervisor PAs" which fulfill a part time Administration role.  Any PA's here make the move to administration? Pluses and minuses?

Education seems like the more logical route for me since I have been involved in education in some way or another since I was in college.  I was going to reach out to the PA school that I currently teach at and see about getting more involved with the program.  Although looking at the salaries of those in the PA program they clearly took a pay cut to teach but I'm assuming the schedule is also much nicer and you can also do some weekend shifts to supplement.  A local private university (University of Miami, my Alma mater) currently doesn't have a PA program and not sure if they will but I would love to put myself into a position that if they did open I could be a strong candidate for Faculty or Clinical/Didactic Director.  Are there any additional classes/courses I should pursue if I want to go this route?  Would a PHD help?  Does it matter?

Sorry for the random post but not sure where else to post it.  I'm sure a Moderator can move the post around to the more appropriate place if need be.

Either way it feels good to be back!  I hope to be more involved in the forum and throw my "now veteran" 0.02$ in the ring now and again!

Thanks again!

Phil

Archived