Concerns About Pre-PA Requirements

Hello, I'm new to these forums and this is my first post :=D: From the looks of things, though, I'm sure glad I found this place. I'm an aspiring PA currently at a local CC and will be transferring into a university by the fall (TU or PSAbington). My GPA is approximately 3.0, with a 3.70 GPA in the sciences... (I'm currently retaking some 100 level courses to repair poor grades from my immaturity phase). Anyhow, I'm concerned about a few things heading into the last years of my undergraduate career:

1) I'm a psychology major (B.S.); will that affect my chances of gaining acceptance into a school? I will have Bio 1+2, Che 1+2, A&P 1+2, and MicroBio complete. Is it necessary ***and/or*** advised to take Organic Chemistry 1+2, Genetics, Physics 1+2, and/or BioChemistry? Local schools offering PA programs require only the first group of classes I've listed, but they also "recommend" additional courses such as the second group of courses I've listed.

2) Currently, I only have about 100 hours of experience. I was thinking of picking up a caregiver job and/or volunteering at a local hospital in the ER to accumulate some hours. Does anyone know how valuable volunteering or care-giving positions are in weighing students' applications?

3) Lastly, how in the hell does someone shadow a PA? No hospital website I've seen has any information on shadowing. How do I come across a shadowing opportunity?

Also, how important is it to take the GRE's?

Thanks a bunch for anyone who takes the time to read and respond! :;;D:

Hello, I'm new to these forums and this is my first post :=D: From the looks of things, though, I'm sure glad I found this place. I'm an aspiring PA currently at a local CC and will be transferring into a university by the fall (TU or PSAbington). My GPA is approximately 3.0, with a 3.70 GPA in the sciences... (I'm currently retaking some 100 level courses to repair poor grades from my immaturity phase). Anyhow, I'm concerned about a few things heading into the last years of my undergraduate career:

1) I'm a psychology major (B.S.); will that affect my chances of gaining acceptance into a school? I will have Bio 1+2, Che 1+2, A&P 1+2, and MicroBio complete. Is it necessary ***and/or*** advised to take Organic Chemistry 1+2, Genetics, Physics 1+2, and/or BioChemistry? Local schools offering PA programs require only the first group of classes I've listed, but they also "recommend" additional courses such as the second group of courses I've listed.

2) Currently, I only have about 100 hours of experience. I was thinking of picking up a caregiver job and/or volunteering at a local hospital in the ER to accumulate some hours. Does anyone know how valuable volunteering or care-giving positions are in weighing students' applications?

3) Lastly, how in the hell does someone shadow a PA? No hospital website I've seen has any information on shadowing. How do I come across a shadowing opportunity?

Also, how important is it to take the GRE's?

Thanks a bunch for anyone who takes the time to read and respond! :;;D:

1) Your major is fine. If your schools of choice recommend this class or that, you should take it but don't let it stop you from trying to apply the soonest you can.

2) Schools have varying weights for volunteering and HCE in an applicant's overall "portrait". Look at your school's websites and go to their information sessions to determine how important those things are to an applicant's portfolio.

3) Get creative. Start by figuring out where they work and how you can appropriately get in contact with them.

Different schools have different views on the GRE. Go the websites of the schools you're interested in.

1) Your major is fine. If your schools of choice recommend this class or that, you should take it but don't let it stop you from trying to apply the soonest you can.

2) Schools have varying weights for volunteering and HCE in an applicant's overall "portrait". Look at your school's websites and go to their information sessions to determine how important those things are to an applicant's portfolio.

3) Get creative. Start by figuring out where they work and how you can appropriately get in contact with them.

Different schools have different views on the GRE. Go the websites of the schools you're interested in.

Archived