Poor undergrad GPA, strong Master's GPA?

Hello all,

I graduated from Rutgers University last may with a 2.85 gpa with a B.S. in Biochemistry. I then enrolled in UMDNJ's master's program in biomedical science (designed for people who want to boost their application to apply to medical/dental and other professional schools)

The program is 30 credits, and I have a 4.0 so far, this semester I am taking med pharmacology, neuroscience, microbiology and developmental biology, I have all A's so far, I *think* I can the program with 3.75-4.0 if things continue to go well.

My question is this, apart from gaining more HCE (like hospital volunteering, PA shadowing) what else can I do to boost my application? I worked as an EMT for a couple of years back in 2008-2009, I have tons of volunteering activities, and I have a research publication.

Would you consider that I have a 'good shot' at getting into a PA program in the NJ/NY/Philadelphia area?

Thank you guys!

Hello all,

I graduated from Rutgers University last may with a 2.85 gpa with a B.S. in Biochemistry. I then enrolled in UMDNJ's master's program in biomedical science (designed for people who want to boost their application to apply to medical/dental and other professional schools)

The program is 30 credits, and I have a 4.0 so far, this semester I am taking med pharmacology, neuroscience, microbiology and developmental biology, I have all A's so far, I *think* I can the program with 3.75-4.0 if things continue to go well.

My question is this, apart from gaining more HCE (like hospital volunteering, PA shadowing) what else can I do to boost my application? I worked as an EMT for a couple of years back in 2008-2009, I have tons of volunteering activities, and I have a research publication.

Would you consider that I have a 'good shot' at getting into a PA program in the NJ/NY/Philadelphia area?

Thank you guys!

Good to see another scarlet knight here! Consider doing an informal post-bac to get your undergrad gpa up to at least a 3.0. Retake science classes that you have a C or below in. While your graduate gpa is impressive, it's calculated separately from your undergrad gpa on caspa and most schools have a 3.0 min requirement so I think you might get screened out from some schools based on your undergrad gpa alone. Some schools, however, look for upward trends in your last 30-90 credits so you might be able to get away with a sub 3.0 gpa. Also get good LORs from professors/shadowing and remember to apply early!

And by the way, how do you like the MBS program? (at the piscataway campus I'm assuming) Was it difficult to get a 4.0 in it? I'm considering doing this program myself after I graduate next spring.

Good to see another scarlet knight here! Consider doing an informal post-bac to get your undergrad gpa up to at least a 3.0. Retake science classes that you have a C or below in. While your graduate gpa is impressive, it's calculated separately from your undergrad gpa on caspa and most schools have a 3.0 min requirement so I think you might get screened out from some schools based on your undergrad gpa alone. Some schools, however, look for upward trends in your last 30-90 credits so you might be able to get away with a sub 3.0 gpa. Also get good LORs from professors/shadowing and remember to apply early!

And by the way, how do you like the MBS program? (at the piscataway campus I'm assuming) Was it difficult to get a 4.0 in it? I'm considering doing this program myself after I graduate next spring.

Hey man, honestly, as far as the MBS program goes, you really will only get what you put into it. It is not structured as well as it can be, but looking at the RWJMS GSBS program, they seem to have a much better format. It does however look to be a bit more competitive. Good luck!

Hey man, honestly, as far as the MBS program goes, you really will only get what you put into it. It is not structured as well as it can be, but looking at the RWJMS GSBS program, they seem to have a much better format. It does however look to be a bit more competitive. Good luck!

Archived