HCE Hours

Hello all!

I am preparing to apply to PA school for Fall 2014. I have HCE hours from 2005-2006 in which I worked as a Phlebotomist for a blood bank located in a hospital. I worked approximately 40-60 hours per week for seven months. I also plan to get more HCE hours before applying to PA school. May I use the Phlebotomist hours worked or are they too old?

Hello all!

I am preparing to apply to PA school for Fall 2014. I have HCE hours from 2005-2006 in which I worked as a Phlebotomist for a blood bank located in a hospital. I worked approximately 40-60 hours per week for seven months. I also plan to get more HCE hours before applying to PA school. May I use the Phlebotomist hours worked or are they too old?

It depends on the school. Some will accept phlebotomy work as HCE, & some will not. It should not matter that the hours are older, as long as you have current HCE to add to it. Otherwise, many schools want to see that your HCE is current or at least recent. I would still list those hours as a phlebotomist for the schools that will consider them, but get a job doing something else that is widely considered direct patient care to the majority of schools, such as CNA, MA, or EMT for your additional hours.

It depends on the school. Some will accept phlebotomy work as HCE, & some will not. It should not matter that the hours are older, as long as you have current HCE to add to it. Otherwise, many schools want to see that your HCE is current or at least recent. I would still list those hours as a phlebotomist for the schools that will consider them, but get a job doing something else that is widely considered direct patient care to the majority of schools, such as CNA, MA, or EMT for your additional hours.

Archived