Volunteering as a teenager

Hello everyone! 

I am 17 and currently looking for a hospital to volunteer at. Before I apply anywhere I wanted to ask a few questions on here to see if it was worth volunteering in a “teen” program. A local hospital has a teen volunteer program but in this program there will be no patient interaction. Will these volunteer hours help me in the furture when applying to PA school? Will it look better since I started volunteering at a hospital at a young age or does that not really matter? Finally, If any of you know what type of tasks I will be doing (if you have had experience with a teen volunteer program or have on at the hospital you work at) let me know! The website doesn’t have much information about what I will be doing as a volunteer. 

Thanks ! 

Yes go for it! It'll definitely only help you in the near future, and can be documented as volunteer hours when you apply for PA school. I'd assume your duties will be really simple tasks such as push patients around in wheelchairs, greet visitors, give directions, pass out books to patients etc.

But more importantly you get exposure, you get to network and get your foot in the door. You get exposed to the various healthcare careers some of which you might've never heard of. You can see how a hospital functions day to day (even at the most basic level), you can talk to techs, CNA, phlebotomists, Respiratory therapists, Nurses, etc. see how they got certified and see if that something you'd wanna to to get Patient Care Experience (PCE). You can also meet PAs that you may eventually wanna shadow! If you end up applying to that same hospital in the future, maybe your volunteer coordinator can throw in a good word for you!

Long story short, lots of pros, so yes do it!

14 minutes ago, OneDayPA-C said:

Yes go for it! It'll definitely only help you in the near future, and can be documented as volunteer hours when you apply for PA school. I'd assume your duties will be really simple tasks such as push patients around in wheelchairs, greet visitors, give directions, pass out books to patients etc.

But more importantly you get exposure, you get to network and get your foot in the door. You get exposed to the various healthcare careers some of which you might've never heard of. You can see how a hospital functions day to day (even at the most basic level), you can talk to techs, CNA, phlebotomists, Respiratory therapists, Nurses, etc. see how they got certified and see if that something you'd wanna to to get Patient Care Experience (PCE). You can also meet PAs that you may eventually wanna shadow! If you end up applying to that same hospital in the future, maybe your volunteer coordinator can throw in a good word for you!

Long story short, lots of pros, so yes do it!

Great ! That’s all I needed to hear, definitely going to apply! Thanks for the info! 

Archived