Professional Disagreements

I didn't say anything about a straight cath - wouldn't consider this unless it was a dire presentation (dry kid who is truly listless). Leaving a sample via peri-bag is acceptable to make a Dx of UTI (not ideal, but acceptable). That is what I had in mind. UA is included in my standard w/u for a child this age (esp the girls) with fever without other definable cause. I expect this of other providers, too, I guess. And on other occasions this provider has done just that - gotten a UA for one of my daughters who had fever without other definite source. On this occasion he wouldn't hear of it. I found that less than thorough and contradictory to thorough Sx investigation. But some folks are more comfortble with the <3yo age group.

How 'bout this: would you all have your children/family treated by other members of your medical group?

Andrew

Just read this article a couple days ago. I read the child you're discussing is 2yr 10mo and this guideline is for UTI's 2-24 months, but I thought it could still relate to the post here. It states a urine collection bag has an 88% false positive culture result. Actually recommends urines be collected by cath or even suprapubic aspiration.

http://www.spapconference.org/upload/Presentation%20Febrile%20UTI%202011%20Guidelines%202012%20CB.pdf

Archived