Hate my first job out of PA school

In some ways the Doc supervisor for administrative issues is also a problem as they start to inject their own thoughts on what a PA should and should not do and many times do not realize how much we can do.

I STRONGLY think the doc is ultimate clinical supervisor, but PA/NP should manage themselves with a formal Department of PA Services in a hospital system and we should be voting members of the medical staff

This^^^^^I (along with several others) have worked hard to expand our role in the ED. It took almost four years, but I was able to remove some arbitrary restrictions on practice (much to the dismay of at least one physician)...We now have PA representation on every Departmental committee including Executive. Because of this, when a recent opportunity arose to develop, formulate, and implement a telemedicine strategy for the entire regional system, I was chosen as "Co-chair" with a physician. We are spending 10's of millions on a new ED, and the other supervisor and myself made sure that there was PA representation on the "Core Design Group".

The point is...physicians cannot be allowed to speak for our profession. They can delegate and collaborate on clinical treatments....but we need to be in charge of our own professional and administrative lives.

I'm not saying it is easy....it isn't. While I (think at least) have the respect of every physician in the Department, at least 2 don't like me because I have been an agent of change. We are cordial and professional with each other, but conversations are definitely curt, and we sort of mutually avoid each other.

We have an institutional steering committee which is chaired by a PA or NP (at this time it's an NP) and an administrator. They serve 3 year terms.

Cleveland Clinic has it set up properly with a Department of PA services....I think Josann Pagel is the chair of that department IIRC. She is a PA.

To the OP....I would leave if you are unhappy. I would not however, think that you are going to escape clinical pathways. With ACO development and quality benchmarks being established......get used to them. They are going to be used everywhere with increasing frequency.

In some ways the Doc supervisor for administrative issues is also a problem as they start to inject their own thoughts on what a PA should and should not do and many times do not realize how much we can do.

I STRONGLY think the doc is ultimate clinical supervisor, but PA/NP should manage themselves with a formal Department of PA Services in a hospital system and we should be voting members of the medical staff

This^^^^^I (along with several others) have worked hard to expand our role in the ED. It took almost four years, but I was able to remove some arbitrary restrictions on practice (much to the dismay of at least one physician)...We now have PA representation on every Departmental committee including Executive. Because of this, when a recent opportunity arose to develop, formulate, and implement a telemedicine strategy for the entire regional system, I was chosen as "Co-chair" with a physician. We are spending 10's of millions on a new ED, and the other supervisor and myself made sure that there was PA representation on the "Core Design Group".

The point is...physicians cannot be allowed to speak for our profession. They can delegate and collaborate on clinical treatments....but we need to be in charge of our own professional and administrative lives.

I'm not saying it is easy....it isn't. While I (think at least) have the respect of every physician in the Department, at least 2 don't like me because I have been an agent of change. We are cordial and professional with each other, but conversations are definitely curt, and we sort of mutually avoid each other.

We have an institutional steering committee which is chaired by a PA or NP (at this time it's an NP) and an administrator. They serve 3 year terms.

Cleveland Clinic has it set up properly with a Department of PA services....I think Josann Pagel is the chair of that department IIRC. She is a PA.

To the OP....I would leave if you are unhappy. I would not however, think that you are going to escape clinical pathways. With ACO development and quality benchmarks being established......get used to them. They are going to be used everywhere with increasing frequency.

Archived