Job at nursing facility

I will have a job interview at a nursing facility but completely have no idea what the job will be like at nursing facility.

How to compare such a kind of job with other PA positions at clinic or hospital in stress level, salary and career development wise? Other pros or cons?

I am a new mom by the way.

Umm...

Your profile says that you are a "pre-PA"... so I'm confused as to what your job interview in a SNF/NH as a non-PA has to do with being a PA-C and why you posted this in the "Professional PA" section of this forum.

Not really sure what you are asking here and why you are asking it here...

Are you a Licensed PA... ???

If so...

When I worked in/for a SNF... I was a "Resident Care Cooordinator."

I was basically the Assistant Medical Director and served as the liasion between nursing staff and the resident's medical providers.

I did admission H&Ps, rounded on acutely ill residents... communicated with their personal PCPs, and wrote orders for appropriate care to prevent "delays in care" and to prevent un-needed hospitilizations and/or poor outcomes.

I had a 2 fax limit...

If the PCP's office didn't respond appropriatley to our nurses within 2 faxes or phone calls... then thay would request that I see the patient and assume care.

Congratulations on your graduation and your new job!

Is the facility strictly long-term care, or do they have a subacute rehab function as well? This is quickly becoming the norm, as rehab pays much better than LTC.

My position is very similar to Contrarian's, except that all of the patients I see are admitted under my Supervising Physician, who is the medical director of the facility. Most of the patients are here for rehab, and since we are located in a downtown metropolitan area, the feeder hospitals are such that we get some very acutely ill patients. I run a code about every week or two, and send a couple of patients to the ER nearly every day. It's very intense and rewarding. I work three 12-hour shifts a week, with 4 days off - not bad!

Things to be good at: anticoagulation, HTN, diabetes, renal failure, wound care (ESPECIALLY wound care!), CPR.

Let me know if you need more information.

Congratulations on your graduation and your new job!

Is the facility strictly long-term care, or do they have a subacute rehab function as well? This is quickly becoming the norm, as rehab pays much better than LTC.

My position is very similar to Contrarian's, except that all of the patients I see are admitted under my Supervising Physician, who is the medical director of the facility. Most of the patients are here for rehab, and since we are located in a downtown metropolitan area, the feeder hospitals are such that we get some very acutely ill patients. I run a code about every week or two, and send a couple of patients to the ER nearly every day. It's very intense and rewarding. I work three 12-hour shifts a week, with 4 days off - not bad!

Things to be good at: anticoagulation, HTN, diabetes, renal failure, wound care (ESPECIALLY wound care!), CPR.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks your reply.

I don’t know if they have rehab or not. I will figure it out during the interview. Anything else you think I should ask about a job at SNF?

Seems that you have a lot of autonomy working at SNF. Without any experience, I am not sure if I can handle all these stuffs you mentioned on my own. Runing code without supervisor at the scene is pretty scaring to me. How do you work with your SP? Do you work together on a daily basis? Does your SP train you at the beginning?

The job description says: It will test your endurance and your dedication to make the impossible seem increasingly probable. Do you feel that way when you working at SNF.

Archived