Looking to get certified as an EMT

I'm looking at finding paid work as an EMT. From what I understand there are various levels - EMT basic, EMT Intermediate (lower level), EMT I (advanced level). I'm assuming for paid work, the "EMT - I" level would open up more opportunities for employment. Can anyone clear up the distinction between these levels and what opportunities there would be for an advanced intermediate level?

I have a lot of education in the Anatomy/Physiology area and want to apply it. PA school is out of reach right now, so I think EMT is where my option is. I was also thinking of going the Paramedic route, but an trying to avoid going BACK to an official school (I already have 2 degrees).

I hear about online EMT classes. Is this an option? Is there a way they intermingle the educational with the practical experiential? Many classes seem to be a couple days a week for three or so months. Is there one that is "accelerated"?

Any additional insight is appreciated.

Each state has different scope of practice for each level of EMT. For instance, in my state Michigan, they do not recognize EMT-I. As an intermediate EMT you can do everything a EMT-B does plus start IVs (some one else can chime here-more advanced airway stuff?). Jobs would include ER tech or ambulance (obviously).

There is no such thing as online EMT school. Most of the class time is spent doing hands-on stuff, like learning to properly ventilate a patient, how to move patients, etc.

I attended an accelerated EMT-B program, it was 7 weeks, 8am-5pm every day plus clinicals at nights or weekends. FYI, I have 2 degrees as well and went to an official school.

Paramedic is great HCE experience for PA school, I think this is best route to obtain HCE, good luck.

Each state has different scope of practice for each level of EMT. For instance, in my state Michigan, they do not recognize EMT-I. As an intermediate EMT you can do everything a EMT-B does plus start IVs (probably a few other things as well). Jobs would include ER tech or ambulance (obviously).

There is no such thing as online EMT school. Most of the class time is spent doing hands-on stuff, like learning to properly ventilate a patient, how to move patients, etc.

I attended an accelerated EMT-B program, it was 7 weeks, 8am-5pm every day plus clinicals at nights or weekends. FYI, I have 2 degrees as well and went to an official school.

Paramedic is great HCE experience for PA school, I think this is best route to obtain HCE, good luck.

How is the Job market for EMTs? Is this something where employment (not just volunteering) can be planned upon receiving certification? I know the pay is not good, but the skill set and the Job security (I'd think anyways) should be good. Am I wrong to think that the EMT can actually be a Job that brings in revenue? I've gone down 3 so educational paths now in attempts to get some $$ with education and a road block has been in the way every time. My finances are drying up. PA school is something down the line that could be an option. I figure I'd post here regarding EMT because I know a bunch of PAs have experience as an EMT.

How is the Job market for EMTs? Is this something where employment (not just volunteering) can be planned upon receiving certification? I know the pay is not good, but the skill set and the Job security (I'd think anyways) should be good. Am I wrong to think that the EMT can actually be a Job that brings in revenue? I've gone down 3 so educational paths now in attempts to get some $$ with education and a road block has been in the way every time. My finances are drying up. PA school is something down the line that could be an option. I figure I'd post here regarding EMT because I know a bunch of PAs have experience as an EMT.

I would guess the job market for EMTs depends on your geographic location and what level of EMT you are. I obtained an EMT-B license and could not find employment in my area. Around here EMT-B pay is only $9/hour. So in order to obtain competitive HCE for PA school, I had to two options-->get my EMT-P license (1 more year of school) or become an RN (1 more year of school). I chose the RN route because they make more per hour and more jobs are available.

I would guess the job market for EMTs depends on your geographic location and what level of EMT you are. I obtained an EMT-B license and could not find employment in my area. Around here EMT-B pay is only $9/hour. So in order to obtain competitive HCE for PA school, I had to two options-->get my EMT-P license (1 more year of school) or become an RN (1 more year of school). I chose the RN route because they make more per hour and more jobs are available.

It seems to me the quality of work as a EMT or Paramedic would far supersede that of a RN no? Is it tough to find work as an EMT/Paramedic? Thanks for helping out.

It seems to me the quality of work as a EMT or Paramedic would far supersede that of a RN no? Is it tough to find work as an EMT/Paramedic? Thanks for helping out.

I'm not sure what you mean by quality of work. EMT and RN are completely different as one is pre-hospital care and the other is hospital-based care-you can't compare the two. As far finding work, I can't answer that. Here in metro-detroit jobs for Paramedics exist, but not too many for EMT-B. Check out emtlife.com, as that forum is specific to EMTs and can provide you with more specific answers to your questions.

It is hard to comapre RN and paramedic. There are many things that a paramedic can do that an RN cannot, and there are many things that an RN can do that a paramedic cannot. I don't think one is any "better" than another or "supercedes" another, but for the most part RNs make more money, and there are more RN jobs. In central Florida, paramedics make $14-20 an hour, depending on the employer, and RNs make $25-40 an hour, again depending on employer.

Much like the differences between PA and NP, paramedics are trained on a variation of the medical model, and nurses on the nursing model.

I was a medic for quite a few years, and my son is both an RN and a medic.

• 3 weeks later...
EMT b is to paramedic as CNA is to RN.

In some systems, such as a system where there is an EMT-B and a paramedic on one ambulance, this is a very good analogy. I dig it.

To the OP... each state, and even to the point of each jurisdiction, has their own set of "rules" governing what an EMT-B, I, P can do. It is a very variable situation.

I would like to point you in two directions. 1. Contact your local fire department or emergency based ambulance system and ask them who does what IN THEIR SYSTEM. The rules of Wyoming versus Texas versus Maryland versus Oregon are as varied as the spelling of their states. 2. Contact your local community college and see what training programs they have for EMT et al. Typically those folks have a pretty good angle on what the local scene is, as their graduates need jobs, so the CC keeps tabs on where their graduates are working.

EMT b is to paramedic as CNA is to RN.

In some systems, such as a system where there is an EMT-B and a paramedic on one ambulance, this is a very good analogy. I dig it.

To the OP... each state, and even to the point of each jurisdiction, has their own set of "rules" governing what an EMT-B, I, P can do. It is a very variable situation.

I would like to point you in two directions. 1. Contact your local fire department or emergency based ambulance system and ask them who does what IN THEIR SYSTEM. The rules of Wyoming versus Texas versus Maryland versus Oregon are as varied as the spelling of their states. 2. Contact your local community college and see what training programs they have for EMT et al. Typically those folks have a pretty good angle on what the local scene is, as their graduates need jobs, so the CC keeps tabs on where their graduates are working.

Archived