Returning to clinical practice

Good Morning. I am a PA who resides in Rhode Island who took an extended Leave of Absence from clinical practice for 6 years to raise my children. I graduated from PA school in 1997 and worked for 8 years in Primary Care both in North Carolina and Rhode Island before my leave. With both children in school, I am eager to return to practice. I have researched into the requirements needed for PAs to return to clinical practice after an extended leave and was surprised to find that the Rhode Island State Medical Board does not require any additional training before returning to work as a healthcare provider. However, despite my attempts to stay current by attending several CME conferences a year in primary care, reading medical journals, and maintaining my certification, it does not replace the invaluable, educational benefits that come from doing a rotation. Therefore, I am searching for a Family Medicine practice that would be interested in allowing me to shadow either a PA or MD for 8-12 weeks in the Rhode Island area. Any advice, suggestions, or referrals that you can provide in my search would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all, in advance, for your time and assistance in my search.

Gratefully submitted,

RI PA-C

Remember a bit like riding a bike, but with a respectful view of lost knowledge. I took 4 years off from clinical practice a long time ago (working in public health kind of things overseas). I came back, when the the AAPA conference, took my PANRE at that conference. Like you've suggested, I did spend a week with a Family Practice physician friend of mine (only a couple of hours a day) then started the new position in another state. It was a steep learning curve but felt like I had it by six months. I hope you find your "shadowing" opportunity here. I would let you shadow me but I'm 3500 miles from you.

Dear jmj11,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me. I appreciate your insight, encouragement, and the offer to shadow you despite the distance. Perhaps I don't have to do as long of an internship as I had planned. I agree that once I am back in a clinical setting everything will fall into place and the area that will most likely require most of my attention are learning all the new meds. Thank you again for taking the time to respond. I am encouraged that your leave of absence from practice didn't hinder your employer from hiring you. How very fortunate for the practice and the patients that are under your care.

Archived