Class of 2014

Guest hubbardtim48

Hi TIM!

Can't wait to start school....how about you? I wonder how many RTs were admitted? I have been in touch with an UND-PA grad who has mentored me a bit. I have been following your thread about "online vs. onsite" education. LOVE your responses! I chimed in earlier in the conversation but felt no need to defend my personal decision of attending UND. I have geared my whole undergrad for their program...so it was counter productive...I was getting a bit fired up! (lol)

So....Tell us a little about yourself ?? You are in St. Louis and a fellow RT. I am looking forward to meeting you....along with the rest of the class.

Best Regards,

Lisa

Guest hubbardtim48

Yes I can’t wait either! My wife is in nursing school and she is excited also. I have been helping her study her pharm and patho which has helped me learn a few new drugs and other various things. She wants to go to NP school asap after nursing school so it will be a very busy life for us in the next few years. I hope we can bring both of our expertise to the table and learn from each other. As of right now I plan on practicing medicine through different avenues (i.e. research based, holistic approach, alternative medicine (herbs, spiritual, acupuncture, etc.) and just try to bring MDs, DOs, NDs, DCs, PAs, NPs all together to create the best healing environment possible). So I am happy she is going to be a nurse and one day an NP so we can both help each other out understand what each other does and why we think a certain way. The online vs. Onsite chat is getting me hot also. My most recent posting talks about how he was never an allied health professional and how he cannot understand why there is a buzz about being a former RN/RT/Medic etc. So I am trying to let him know that online education is OK and is the way of the future. Same way how libraries may not exist in 30 years because of the nook, etc. I am not going to defend UND anymore because I believe OUR training (allied health prof.) is the best way to become a well rounded PA, but also keep the legend of the PA profession ongoing. UND has stood the test of time and has showed they are a GREAT school so just because some portions are online doesn’t mean they are inferior, just means it allows us working adults to continue working and support our profession and family. Yes I live in STL and got married last year to my beautiful wife and we just got a new dog (her name is tillie) and she is 4 ½ months, half dachshund/half jack russell terrier. Well I am excited to meet everyone also and hopefully find some people to bunk with so we can cut some of the cost of an apartment! :) Have you been told any good information from your mentor about what to do prior to school? Have you been doing anything special to get a head start?

Congratulations of getting married....YEA for you! She was informing me about housing, and to brush up on some A&P, Pharm, and Patho. I have been doing a little studying, but really I have just been enjoying some down time. I had pushed so hard through the last year of undergrad my brain was a bit mushy....so the last 9 months have been about my family.

I wonder if I will be the oldest student....geez....the pressure to be the most mature...rofl!

Don't waste your energy defending OUR program....It is the best of both worlds....and as far as specializing? I am coming back to practice in Harrison, Arkansas...or the rural areas here in the Ozarks. When I was approached by one of our surgeons about working for them when I graduate, I told them I would not have any "surgical" specialized training, unless I chose a few weeks in a rotation. He said, not to worry...THEY would teach me...isn't that what the MD's do??? LOL I am just ready to get started, and finish this last "leg" of my journey. I miss patient care right now...I miss seeing patients....Codes, Trauma, ICU, PEDs and yes...even basic floor therapy.....;) WE are well rounded clinicians, because RT's have had to morph and adapt. I have seen so many changes.....from using a bell jar to obtain PEEP on an MA-1 to the latest LED screened laryngoscope. (telling my age BIG TIME) ;)

I bet Tilly is a darling....I don't mind sharing space in ND, nor drive time. We will have to chat about that. PM me your email address...and I will send you my email address.....we can go from there!

Archived