Why didn't anyone mention this to me before I applied to PA school?

OP, if you are still checking this thread, a few points:

-The patient disregard/disrespect will lessen after you are no longer a student. People just want to be seen, few will put up a fuss.

-Yes, of course there are gaps in our knowledge, mainly in pathophys. That's up to you to bridge if you want to.

-You will be dealing with disrespectful docs your whole career, to some degree. Know when to stand up for yourself and when to just let it go. Just make sure you arent getting your feelings hurt from correction alone, which is appropriate.

-Lastly, almost each and every one of us went through some humiliation in PA school, and our first couple years in practice. I know I did. This is big boy/big girl life. If you dont learn to be assertive and take extreme ownership of your knowledge and your performance, you'll just get used and abused. Especially in the hospital setting, where people are territorial and there is little forgiveness. It take a long time to learn the ropes in medicine. The best thing you can do is work a little each day on your own competency, which will give you the confidence you need on the job.

Archived