Interviews and best HCE for SMU

For those of you who got in SMU, how was the interview? Do you remember any questions? Any questions that were really challenging or you had a hard time answering? I hear they put you in groups and make you do activities...

Were majority of the students at SMU EMTs or medical assistants? I've been in clinical research for a year now but want to find another job that can make me more well-rounded and a better applicant for SMU.

Any other advice for the type of applicants they're looking for?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

• 2 weeks later...

The students in our program have a wide variety of experiences...EMT, naturopathic doc, chiropractor, medical assistants, pharm tech, athletic trainers, research, CNA, etc. As long as you have pt experience then it doesn't matter what you do. The more hours the better, but at least 1000. The interview questions are standard PA school questions, nothing bizarre. The easiest job to get into quickly would be some sort of CNA job? although you might have to get a license and go through a class. I did CNA-like stuff w/o a license working w/people w/disabilities and worked as a licensed pharm tech (no formal schooling if you take the PTCB).

For those of you who got in SMU, how was the interview? Do you remember any questions? Any questions that were really challenging or you had a hard time answering? I hear they put you in groups and make you do activities...

Were majority of the students at SMU EMTs or medical assistants? I've been in clinical research for a year now but want to find another job that can make me more well-rounded and a better applicant for SMU.

Any other advice for the type of applicants they're looking for?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

The CNA route is pretty fast, but not everyone finds that that's a good fit for them. EMT is also pretty fast, but a friend of mine completed her EMT course and many months later still hasn't been able to find a job. So before you dive in and go a different route, make sure you figure out whether there's a need for more people to fill that type of position in your city.

One of our SMU classmates was a clinical research coordinator, FYI. So that seems like a totally viable route for HCE too, as long as you're getting actual patient contact.

Was accepted this year with the following experience:

Biology Degree

ER/Rehab Volunteer

EMT Ambulance

ER Tech/Phlebotomist 2 years

Not going to share any specific questions on here but I think giving the interviewers something unique about yourself is important. It doesn't even have to be something related to medicine. Maybe for you it is a hobby, sport, or travel experience. I imagine after interviewing 100+ well qualified applicants everyone starts to blur together. The interview process for me was relaxed and more of a conversation than getting grilled with questions.

Thank you everyone!! I emailed Pam and she said my experience counted. I'm so excited!! All I have to do now is make my application stand out and hope I get in!

About the interview process, that's interesting that it was more of a conversation than getting grilled with questions. However, I assume it's because they want to get to know your personality and if you fit well with the program.

Archived