Strategy to finding living accomodations/roomates

The school I was accepted to has roughly 30 seats. I would imagine that a majority of those will be out of state, which means they will need to find accomodations. Deducing further, I would assume that 50% are either single or will not be re-locating with a significant other. Add the ~30/70 ratio of males to females in the average program, the candidates for roomates is low... I am one of those males (not that I am against co-ed living... but don't think the lady friend would be accepting :D).

Many students will congregate to their schools respective forums and find roomates that way, or perhaps establish a facebook group. However, it is seemingly hard to reach out to other accepted students to my program, as they may not be on this forum.

Other than the aforementioned strategies, can anyone else offer up some advice on how to reach out to find roomates, preferably part of the program? Would approaching the school for a list of email addresses for students be out of the question?

My school provided a list of names/emails.

Your comment begs the question... Why can't your girlfriend trust you to live with the opposite sex? I have two roomies and we only see each other in the kitchen and we haven't seen anything that would be considered risqué. Just because you are roomies doesnt mean y'all will spend every waking moment in each other's company. Perhaps a heart to heart with her may open up some housing options.

Have you tried the "aforementioned" strategies? Seriously... why borrow trouble? Have you found the facebook group? Emailed? Asked?

Once your class settles a little, your school will probably give you a list of names and email addresses. A couple people in my class looking for roomies mass emailed the entire list just asking if anyone else was interested.

Your comment begs the question... Why can't your girlfriend trust you to live with the opposite sex?

haha.. it's not that there isn't trust. I say I "don't think" she would be accepting if I was quick to jump in with some females without looking at my options. Hence, why I am approaching the forum about this. There is still a few months and I want to find options now rather than crunching later.

Have you tried the "aforementioned" strategies? Seriously... why borrow trouble? Have you found the facebook group? Emailed? Asked?

Don't patronize me. I've done and searched everything I can up to this point. I was not able to find a facebook group... i tried. The population of the schools forum is next to nothing. I have tried to initiate something on that forum... nothing yet. I came here looking for alternatives to those.. not to be questioned about whether or not I did them. Who am I supposed to ask if I don't have emails? or phone numbers? Don't tell me to get in touch with the school for emails and phone numbers because that was already in my list of things to do.. which is the reason why I asked if approaching the school is out of the question (breach of confidentiality etc.). The other school I was accepted to already has a facebook group and lines of communication set up. It's obviously different for each school.

I understand the preference of having classmates as roommates, as it creates an instant study group. I had the very same theory. My particular program has four campuses that all come together in Seattle for summer quarter then disperse to their respective regions. During that time in Seattle, we all had a chance to network a bit and find some roomies....I thought I found a couple of guys who were wicked smart and very likable. We settled in...one of them had to withdraw 2 months in. The other one...lets just say our personalities are different enough that after spending 6+ hours in a very small classroom with each other, we really don't hang out around the house together. So that built in study group thing..never really materialized. Plus, as the program progressed through Fall term, we all hook into our preferred bunch of study buddies and out of the 25 of us, I think maybe 2 or 3 people are actually living with their preferred study partners. Everyone else just meets up at various houses/locations.

My point? While living with classmates may seem like a no brainer thing to do, I will offer up that during this intense period, a little break from each other isn't always a bad thing. One of my classmates actually rented a room in the dorms of a local community college even though our school is not affiliated with that school. Another classmate called a couple of housing agencies, was put in touch with a woman who has a very large house with freaking awesome views (we study there) who rents out her various bedrooms to an assortment of people. It's a very "homey" and comfortable setting. It's fully furnished with a gourmet kitchen, for cheap.

I just offer this bit of ramble to toss the idea out there. Again, I totally understand the desire to have a built in study group, but Craigslist or some other roommate finding agency may be just as beneficial. Find a place close to school that makes the commute easy and enjoy coming home to place where you can just turn off the medicine noise if for just a few minutes.

Good luck

Our class didn't have a FB page, either so...I made one. Sometimes you have to the proactive one. :)

On the girl/guy note, I'm a woman and my last three roommates have been men whom I hadn't known previously. I think there are actually a lot of platonic benefits to the situation, but it's not something I would have considered until I had to move last minute and the one who had the lease was a guy. While I still lived with my last roommate, I became engaged and my husband was completely fine with the situation. If your lady friend is flat-out against it then that does point to a trust issue.

I'm looking for room-mates too and my goal is to live with someone who is also a grad student or a quiet professional. My school has a law school and there's a medical school 15 minutes away, so if I can't find a room-mate who is also in my program, I'm going to try to hook up with someone else who is going to be studying constantly and who will want peace and quiet (and cleanliness!) on the homefront. My program does have a FB page, but I've mostly been looking on Craigslist. Nothing yet, but I have until May 21 to find something. Good luck to you!

To clear up the whole trust thing... in my initial post I said that I don't think she would be accepting. I do not know forsure. Since it's a hot topic on this thread I guess it made me think a little more about it. There is no trust issue, and to be quite honest it would more than likely be okay. I just dont know, becuase I've never talked to her about the possibility of rooming with female(s). With that said, a big part of our relationship is based on trust. I have lived away from her for the past year, and will be away until I get to school. She trusts me, I trust her. The reason why the issue of a female roomate might come up in the fact that we agreed that we wouldn't live together when I get there. Simply because focus needs to be on school. She knows this, and is supportive. Now if I told her I couldn't live with her, but then end up bunking with some persons of the opposite sex... well, that's why I am a little hesitant. Again, no trust issue, and I am certain she would be okay with it.. just doesn't fit for me. Like lewis said, if it were last minute, then let's do it.

Archived