Jump to content

SLPA for HCE a good idea? Helpp!

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm a soon to be senior this fall at CSUN majoring in communication disorders with an emphasis in speech pathology. I honestly picked this major because it seemed to have good career prospects and a decent salary. I certainly find some of the material in the major interesting but felt a lot more eager to learn in anatomy class than some of my core classes like phonetics, language disorders. I looked into the PA career and now am very interested in pursuing this after I graduate May 2018. Nowww i'm trying to figure out how to make myself a good candidate for PA school. I will be volunteering at a hospital soon, plan on joining a pre-pa club at my school this fall but I'm really having trouble narrowing down what I should do for HCE hours and I need your help/opinions! My questions are 1) do you think my undergrad major would be a positive/negative when applying for a PA program? 2) would getting a SLPA-speech language pathologist assistant certification postbachelors...be a good choice to fulfill HCE hours? Do you think it would reflect a lack of interest in the PA field or even be accepted for HCE? (P.s ->The certification is about $5000, and the only reason I am considering it is because it pays a lot more than an emt/scribe/cna positions and I have loan payments lined up after I graduate.) ???? The downfall is that although many slps are employeed in a hospital setting, most of the SLP Assistant jobs are in schools. The children would be considered patients...but I'm not sure if it's a good idea for HCE. Should I forget about it and go for emt/scribe or get the certification and make some money during my gap year? Sorry about the long post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated(:

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing to watch out for with SLPA is that there are not many jobs for it, and you might end up having to work in school-based which likely won't count as HCE. I have been a practicing SLP for 8 years and have never met an SLPA or seen a job posting for one. You might even have a hard time getting some schools to accept SLPA hours since most facilities won't let SLPAs handle dysphagia management. I would recommend looking into a certification that might assure you more hours in a medical setting. Also remember that most of the undergrad training is pediatric-based, and once you get into grad school you start dealing with medical speech pathology, which is far more interesting. I didn't like pediatric SLP but medical SLP is fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More