Cardiology Offer for New Grad

Hello! I just received a job offer in cardiology and was hoping to get some insight and advice into what points I should negotiate. 

The offer: 

-Salary: $83,000 annual salary to increase to $85,000 after I complete credentialing at the hospital 

-Schedule: Mon-Fri 8-5, one call weekend per month 

-Travel: Travel is required to satellite offices but few details are given except mileage is reimbursed at a rate of $0.535/mile 

-Benefits: health/dental/life insurance, long/short term disability, six paid holidays per year, 4 weeks of paid personal/vacation, pension/401-(k) plan after 1 year, $1000 and 2 PTO days per year for CME, paid malpractice

Questions: 

-Do you feel that the salary is fair? If not, what would you ask for? 

-Since my salary increase depends on completing credentialing at the hospital, how long does this typically take? 

-Are there any other items in the offer that you would question or negotiate? 

-Is there bonus potential in cardiology? If so, how is this normally structured?

Thank you in advance for all of your opinions and advice! I want to be informed and represent our profession well when I negotiate this offer tomorrow morning. 

It's not terrible, but I'm in South Florida. I started at 80 in neurosurgery with longer hours and similar call. Same travel deal to satellites. You have better CME and vacation. Same 401K. 

You will hear from folks who say it's terrible, and maybe a few who say it's fair. Big questions for you, though, are do you feel like you will get good training as a new grad and are they used to PA's. 

Three months to get credentialed. No idea on bonus structure. I interviewed with a cardiologist once here and got a lower offer for more hours, no bonus. 

Hope that helps you weigh what follows.

I always counter with salary - the worst they can do is say no. I'd counter for 90k or so. I'd also ask for 2k and 1 week for CME. Otherwise the offer seems solid to me. Even if they didnt negotiate much, it'd be an offer i'd strongly consider taking as a new grad. If you have experience the salary is likely a little low. Also try to get more details regarding the travel situation.

Archived