Personal Statement PLEASE HELP SOON!!!

Hello, I am trying to apply to PA school as soon as possible. I dont think I'll get in this time because my application is late due to letters and waiting to finish pre-eq this pass fall semester. I still want to try anyways so if you could read it and tell me what you think I would be very grateful.

It does not have the conclusion paragraph yet but here it is. I am allowed 5000 characters.

Since childhood something about the medical field has captured my every interest. Passion for medicine all began with the stories of my grandfather, Dr. Charles Waldroup. As a child this passion was only a dream but in college that dream became a reality. I overcame many obstacles to insure my fate as a Physician's Assistant. These obstacles taught many important life lessons that will improve my abilities of being a great healer. The knowledge that I desire to acquire in the medical program will be geared only towards helping others. There is no greater reward than having a pronounced impact on someone else's life. Even the slightest act of kindness and aid can make all the difference.

The root of my passion for the medical field began with stories about my grandfather. Dr. Charles Waldroup devoted his life to helping the Sevier County community. As a young child I saw how helping others can make a huge impact on one's life. The stories that patients told about Dr. Charles Waldroup revealed the kind of person I would like to become. Even though I never had the pleasure of knowing my grandfather, the legacy he left behind has touched my heart. The thought of being in the medical field has always been a dream but in college that was all about to change.

Entering college I had very little confidence in my intelligence to be a Physician's Assistant. When I mentioned to a guidance counselor my passion to be in the medical field, I was immediately discouraged. Most people did not give positive feedback to my future dreams and goals. In school I was not consider a smart student. My grades were average and my standardized testing was slightly below average. These qualities were not demonstrating the ability to be accepted in a medical program. At this time failure was my biggest fear. I made many sacrifices in order to protect my grades that were needed to be accepted. When I took General Chemistry it was suggested I take an Intro course because my placement test score was so low. My family did not approve of taking such a risk because it was feared that I was not capable of making a good grade. However, I saw this as my opportunity to gain more confidence of possessing the intelligence needed to have a future as a Physician's Assistant. The hard work invested in General Chemistry provided a strong foundation that has allowed the more advance courses to build on. I continued to push forward and go for what I have always wanted. This marked the beginning of my true journey into trying to become a Physician's Assistant. This experience showed the discipline and organization skills needed to push to another intelligence level. The drive that I possess will better prepare me for a more intensive program. I will go through any length necessary to be the best Physician Assistant possible if accepted.

To confirm my desire to be a Physician Assistant I volunteered and job shadowed at a local clinic in Gatlinburg. Following the doctors and physician assistants illustrated an educational insight to the responsibilities of health care. During this time I had the pleasure of being exposed to many different interesting situations. For example, one of the most exciting moments was assisting in stitching a sliced finger. A young man came into the clinic with a kitchen knife laceration to his index finger. Dr. Benson performed the procedure and I had the joy of cutting the stitching string as he finished. It was a very small part but it brought the greatest joy. Playing a small part in the health clinic did something I thought was not possible. It made my love for medicine grow even more. Every PA and doctor has opened my eyes to the true meaning of health care. Learning about medicine and actually practicing medicine can be a very different experience. I found out that I love both. I am very thankful for everything I learned and experienced at the clinic.

(1) Physician Assistant is not physician's assistant (2) Why don't you want to become an MD? (3) How did you learn or become introduced to what a PA does? (4) Are we expected to think you'll be a great PA because you were able to make it through Chemistry? (5) "Every PA and doctor has opened my eyes to the true meaning of healthcare" - what is this true meaning you speak of? There are people I met that worked in healthcare that have taught me how NOT to be as a medical provider, seeing how they have become very callused and cold. Have you met people like these and would it be okay for you even if you did? How would you react? (6) As a child how can you have a passion for medicine?

Might be harsh, but those are some questions you might want to start with. You probably have great intentions and would make a great PA but not sure it shows through within your essay.

It's tough, definitely. I would try to stick with the facts and not be too philosophical. For example, you could begin your essay with a specific interaction that Dr. Waldroup had with a patient that captivated you. Keep that part short and concise and move on to your next point. My suggestion would also be to write down everything you gained from your medical experiences and make a story out of yourself, all leading up to why you wanted to be a PA... don't mention you were "made to save lives" and you live to be that healer of all healers, we all want to be, but it's got to be a little more factual, if you get my drift. Hope this helps.

Yes it helps so much. I am worried that I do not have the life experience that these other students do. I am very young and I went straight from high school, to college, and hopefully straight into PA school. I have job shadowed but I feel at a disadvantage as far as having great life experiences that involve working in health care to mention in my PS. Most of the PS I have read on here have some job in med or a great exposure.

Archived