Application HELP - Do I put clubs/organizations on my app. even if it was 3 yr ago?

Yes, put the clubs/organizations you were involved in on your application even if they are a few years old. You might find it helpful to track all your future volunteering hours on a log so that you'll have an easier time filling out your CASPA. Include a short description too, because you have space to describe what you actually did while volunteering. Same is true for the work experience section. You can just reference pay stubs to fill out work experience hours. I kept my job descriptions from HR and found those really helpful when trying to write about job duties.

Yes, put the clubs/organizations you were involved in on your application even if they are a few years old. You might find it helpful to track all your future volunteering hours on a log so that you'll have an easier time filling out your CASPA. Include a short description too, because you have space to describe what you actually did while volunteering. Same is true for the work experience section. You can just reference pay stubs to fill out work experience hours. I kept my job descriptions from HR and found those really helpful when trying to write about job duties.

I worked in the doctors office during high school in the HR dept, would that be something to include as well?

Have you looked at the CASPA website? As far as work and experience goes these are the directions:

In this section you should enter your experiences under the following categories:

PATIENT CARE EXPERIENCE defined as experiences in which the applicant is directly responsible for a patient's care; for example: prescribing medication, performing procedures, directing a course of treatment, working on patients as an active EMT, etc.

OTHER HEALTH CARE EXPERIENCE defined as roles in which the applicant is working in the health or a health-related field but is not directly responsible for a patient’s care; for example, filling prescriptions, performing clerical work, delivering patient food, cleaning patient rooms, working as “candy-striper,” etc.

HEALTH CARE SHADOWING hours spent shadowing (observing) a health care professional

RESEARCH research work you performed OUTSIDE of work you received credit for on your academic transcripts

AWARDS, HONORS, AND LEADERSHIP List any honors or awards received, and positions of leadership you have held

COMMUNITY SERVICE volunteer work you have done OUTSIDE of the health field

OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE jobs you have held OUTSIDE of the health field

Given these definitions, we ask the applicant to consider the duties which they performed during their experience and use their best judgment to determine which category their experience falls into. You may NOT repeat hours between the sections. If the position duties encompass more than one section, enter the position in both sections and divide the hours and duties accordingly. (Example: a 40 hr/wk position with 10 hrs/wk of research and 30 hrs/wk of direct patient care would be entered under both research and patient care sections with the appropriate hours and duties listed within each section.) Please be sure to read the instructions before entering your information. If you have any questions in regards to your experiences fulfilling an individual school’s requirements, you should inquire with that school directly.

To add an experience, select the category from the drop-down menu below and click “Add New Entry” to begin imputing your information. Our system will automatically list your experiences in reverse chronological order by end date, with your most recently completed experience being at the top of the list.

****It is up to you how far back you want to go and what you feel is relevant. Everyone is going to have different opinions on what they think is relevant. If it were up to me personally, I MIGHT include that since it is medically related. However, if you are graduating in a year and then taking three years off, high school will be 8+ years prior to your application and if I were sitting on an admission committee I might wonder why you are going back 8 years to talk about work experience UNLESS it has been consistent and there are no big gaps where it might look like you are searching for things to add to your app.....but again, it is personal choice as to what to include.......

I worked in the doctors office during high school in the HR dept, would that be something to include as well?

Have you looked at the CASPA website? As far as work and experience goes these are the directions:

In this section you should enter your experiences under the following categories:

PATIENT CARE EXPERIENCE defined as experiences in which the applicant is directly responsible for a patient's care; for example: prescribing medication, performing procedures, directing a course of treatment, working on patients as an active EMT, etc.

OTHER HEALTH CARE EXPERIENCE defined as roles in which the applicant is working in the health or a health-related field but is not directly responsible for a patient’s care; for example, filling prescriptions, performing clerical work, delivering patient food, cleaning patient rooms, working as “candy-striper,” etc.

HEALTH CARE SHADOWING hours spent shadowing (observing) a health care professional

RESEARCH research work you performed OUTSIDE of work you received credit for on your academic transcripts

AWARDS, HONORS, AND LEADERSHIP List any honors or awards received, and positions of leadership you have held

COMMUNITY SERVICE volunteer work you have done OUTSIDE of the health field

OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE jobs you have held OUTSIDE of the health field

Given these definitions, we ask the applicant to consider the duties which they performed during their experience and use their best judgment to determine which category their experience falls into. You may NOT repeat hours between the sections. If the position duties encompass more than one section, enter the position in both sections and divide the hours and duties accordingly. (Example: a 40 hr/wk position with 10 hrs/wk of research and 30 hrs/wk of direct patient care would be entered under both research and patient care sections with the appropriate hours and duties listed within each section.) Please be sure to read the instructions before entering your information. If you have any questions in regards to your experiences fulfilling an individual school’s requirements, you should inquire with that school directly.

To add an experience, select the category from the drop-down menu below and click “Add New Entry” to begin imputing your information. Our system will automatically list your experiences in reverse chronological order by end date, with your most recently completed experience being at the top of the list.

****It is up to you how far back you want to go and what you feel is relevant. Everyone is going to have different opinions on what they think is relevant. If it were up to me personally, I MIGHT include that since it is medically related. However, if you are graduating in a year and then taking three years off, high school will be 8+ years prior to your application and if I were sitting on an admission committee I might wonder why you are going back 8 years to talk about work experience UNLESS it has been consistent and there are no big gaps where it might look like you are searching for things to add to your app.....but again, it is personal choice as to what to include.......

First off...I applaud your decision to get some hands on health care experience. I think you'll be a better person and applicant for that effort. Not to mention, have a bit of cash to pad the bills with.

SSsssssooooooo.....why can't you find new organizations/clubs to join as a working adult? I know TONS of people who are quite functionally able to work full time AND do things outside of the work. I worked a 48-56 hour work week, carried 12-15 credits a term, a father of three kids, and still found time to volunteer a bit of time to my kids's school.

Big Brother/Sister, the local food bank, volunteer fire stations, The American Red Cross, inter-mural sports teams, your local community center, the hospital...all places RIPE with opportunities to volunteer and be involved in your community.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of going back in time more than maybe a year or so. It leaves the "door" open for the Adcom to ask you "so why have you not done anything for the past 3 years?" The answer of "been working" is a bit weak in a competitive program.

First off...I applaud your decision to get some hands on health care experience. I think you'll be a better person and applicant for that effort. Not to mention, have a bit of cash to pad the bills with.

SSsssssooooooo.....why can't you find new organizations/clubs to join as a working adult? I know TONS of people who are quite functionally able to work full time AND do things outside of the work. I worked a 48-56 hour work week, carried 12-15 credits a term, a father of three kids, and still found time to volunteer a bit of time to my kids's school.

Big Brother/Sister, the local food bank, volunteer fire stations, The American Red Cross, inter-mural sports teams, your local community center, the hospital...all places RIPE with opportunities to volunteer and be involved in your community.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of going back in time more than maybe a year or so. It leaves the "door" open for the Adcom to ask you "so why have you not done anything for the past 3 years?" The answer of "been working" is a bit weak in a competitive program.

I agree with winterallsummer in that you'll want to include everything that will boost your application - I feel like it's better to have too much than too little. Make sure you thoroughly describe what you did in each activity as well.

BUT I also agree with JustSteve in that just because you graduate doesn't mean you shouldn't still be involved. My university's pre-PA club was happy to have me even after I graduated. So in addition to working full time I also participate in clubs, volunteer, shadow, and manage to have a life. Definitely possible. Good luck!

I agree with winterallsummer in that you'll want to include everything that will boost your application - I feel like it's better to have too much than too little. Make sure you thoroughly describe what you did in each activity as well.

BUT I also agree with JustSteve in that just because you graduate doesn't mean you shouldn't still be involved. My university's pre-PA club was happy to have me even after I graduated. So in addition to working full time I also participate in clubs, volunteer, shadow, and manage to have a life. Definitely possible. Good luck!

Archived