New Graduate Entering Into Neurosurgery... Advice From Any Seasoned Pros?

As a new grad I have numerous questions about entering into the profession, but what would be especially helpful is any advice from working neurosurgical PAs for a new grad entering into the field. I did a 6 week elective rotation with the group who hired me on and am very excited to be entering into this specialty, but in those six weeks I was exposed to a ton on new information and situations. I will officially start in two weeks and now that boards are over with I can use this time to read up on some fundamental neurosurgical knowledge. I do already have Greenberg’s Handbook of Neurosurgery but outside of that I have no real direction in terms of where to start focusing my efforts. Thanks to all who respond, I sincerely appreciate it!

As a new grad I have numerous questions about entering into the profession, but what would be especially helpful is any advice from working neurosurgical PAs for a new grad entering into the field. I did a 6 week elective rotation with the group who hired me on and am very excited to be entering into this specialty, but in those six weeks I was exposed to a ton on new information and situations. I will officially start in two weeks and now that boards are over with I can use this time to read up on some fundamental neurosurgical knowledge. I do already have Greenberg’s Handbook of Neurosurgery but outside of that I have no real direction in terms of where to start focusing my efforts. Thanks to all who respond, I sincerely appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

I am also interested in what advice people have. I'm interested in neurosurgery and about to start a 6 week elective with a pediatric neurosurgery group that recently posting a job ad for a PA, so I'm hoping to get a job from the rotation, but I have no idea what to study - there's just so much!

Hopefully people reply!

• 9 months later...

looks like no one has responded to your post :/ so i thought i was interested in neurosurgery but i'm not so sure. now that you've been working as a neurosurgery PA (by the way, where are you located?) what would you have to say about neurosurgery? i'm trying to choose my elective for neurosurg, but after doing my general surg rotation and seeing some neurosurg patients, i'ts making me defer away from neuro surg. any thoughts anyone?!

Archived