FAFSA timing

I plan on applying to PA school in the upcoming cycle (which would put me at a 2013 start [right?]) and I am a bit confused with the timing of everything. Do I fill out the FAFSA after I file in April of this year? Do I wait until I apply to programs this summer? I know a lot of schools have priority deadlines for FAFSA which don't at all coincide with the CASPA application cycle so I am at a bit of a loss. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

I never fill out my FAFSA until I have my tax information at the ready. I don't like estimating on financial documents. In your case, you'll need school codes... which you don't have because you don't have a school. When I was in your position, I waited until the financial aid people from my program contacted me with information about arranging my loans. They were able to explain what I needed to do with the FAFSA that year. It didn't happen until a few months before I matriculated... in January of the year I began PA school.

Does that make sense? You're early, is what I'm saying.

Thanks for the answers everyone. I am enrolled in post-bac classes now to get my prereqs done so the whole FAFSA thing threw my off. For PA school I need to wait until after Jan 2013 to fill it out, if I was looking for financial aid for the classes I'm currently taking I would fill it out now.

Thanks for the answers everyone. I am enrolled in post-bac classes now to get my prereqs done so the whole FAFSA thing threw my off. For PA school I need to wait until after Jan 2013 to fill it out, if I was looking for financial aid for the classes I'm currently taking I would fill it out now.

The thing you can do way ahead of time is check your credit report to make sure there is nothing funny on there and that you have a decent credit score. It can take months to clear stuff up on your credit report, and you do not want to find out there is a problem only a couple months before you need your money!

The thing you can do way ahead of time is check your credit report to make sure there is nothing funny on there and that you have a decent credit score. It can take months to clear stuff up on your credit report, and you do not want to find out there is a problem only a couple months before you need your money!

Archived