Hello everyone!

I am a lurker for some time now but decided to join when I could no longer access the pages I was interested in without being a member ;)

So, needless to say I am on the path to PA'dom and have a few questions. A little background: I'm extremely aware of my age-meaning that I often doubt my plans because time is such a big deal to me. I am 34 and have about 2 years of pre-reqs left before I can even consider being competitive enough to apply. I'm married with 2 children and I volunteer at a hospice during the year while in the summer I intern/volunteer at a psych facility. I also have about 7 years work experience as a medical assistant though I haven't worked as one since about 2005. So far my core sciences look like this:

A&P 1-2 w/labs B+

Biology 1-2 w/labs A

Microbiology C+ :O_O:

Haven't touched the chem yet but have my humanities, english, social sciences, and some math. That Micro is a thorn in my side. It wasn't so much that it was difficult (though the grade makes it look like that) it was during a period where I was grieving day in and day out over someone I'd lost...lame as it sounds, it is what it is. So, my question is as idiotically easy as it seems, DO I--SHOULD I, take that Micro over? I live in NY so I plan to apply to York, Sophie, and SUNY Downstate. Did any other Pre-PA find that Micro made the difference? Any help is appreciated.

TIA

Welcome to the boards! I just got accepted to PA school in NY at Pace university. It's a pretty nice school list you should consider adding to your list!

So, your grades look good. I'm assuming you got a B+ in AP 1 and also a B+ in AP 2? That's good enough IMO. What is the rest of your GPA like, your overall GPA?

I had a C+ in genetics that really bothered me. Unfortunately the class was almost impossible to even pass and the thought of retaking it made me anxious, so I just applied with that C+. I don't think it affected my application and I had success anyway. However I had a solid overall GPA. I took my microbiology at a community college, and found getting an A in it to be not too difficult after having completed some tougher courses at my university. So you could consider that.

However, if I were you, and you have a solid overall GPA from your other courses, I'd go ahead and take chem 1, 2, and whatever other pre-reqs you need. If you get mostly A's in there, just apply with the C. However if you get straight B's or god forbid another C, you should re-take it. As many told me, "you won't be the first to get into PA school with a C." Hope this advice helps.

Hi Winterallsumer and PAMAC-thank you for responding.

Winterallsummer-the anxiety you spoke of with genetics is how I feel with micro now. Micro reminds me of that awful grieving that I was going through and to relive it again...ugh.

PAMAC-unfortunately I have no prior college degrees. I'm afraid I started off a little latein life and this is my first time attempting to go further with an higher education. I am planning to take more life sciences, for example Gen Chem 1-2, Organic Chem, Genetics, and I'm still on the fence about Organic but probably better safe than sorry. I would also like to take an upper 300 level science because I want to look as competent as possible. My gpa thus far is 3.7, excuse my ignorance for not knowing what the science gpa is :/

So, what I'm getting from the both of you is that I should try to get A's in the classes I plan to take in order to make the C+ not look too bad, correct? That definitely sounds like a plan to work with.

Yes, you got it. You can go to http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm and plug in potential grades, you'll see that if you can get some more A's, you can still get a good GPA even with the C+. If after taking your chemistry and other life science classes, let's say you got too many B's and your GPA is getting low, THEN you can go back and take it. You may also feel more confident to do so at that point after getting some more classes under your belt. Also I had about a 3.7 including my C+ in genetics so I think you will be just fine. Another option down the line is to take the class online (you'll still have to go in for the lab though).

If you don't have a bachelor's, though, you will need to get one to apply to almost all PA programs, because they're master level programs. Have you taken your general stuff like english, government, etc?

Thank you for the link-it was very helpful. I don't have my bachelors but there are still a few programs within my area that will take your application without one supposing you have at least 60 credits that includes the classes they ask for and/or recommend. I have a feeling that may change before I'm done with my pre-reqs but even if it does I'll just go all the way.

Yes, I have taken my generals-as a matter of fact I'll be done completely with that part this spring semester. I saved the chem and advanced math (you know, all the good stuff) for last :) Congrats on getting into Pace btw-I've been to the campus once or twice and it's places like those that makes me wish I had a bachelors. You must be super excited-I wish you the best and thank you very much for the warm welcome and the help.

Thanks. Well that sounds good, and you can also go back and upgrade to your MS while working, I know there is one program that the PAs here are a fan of in such situations. Well I'd say you have a solid plan then. Just keep plugging away at the classes and as long as you're making mostly A's that micro grade will easily fade to the background. Chem is not that bad as long as you do your homework, for math I'd recommend seeing if your school has a math lab or free math tutoring. If your courses have MyMathLab, that program saved my azz in calculus. Just keep trudging on and you will be there in no time!!

Archived