Kaplan online question bank and PANCE

Just found out I passed the PANCE with a healthy margin. I was looking feverishly the last couple of weeks for others' experience with Kaplan qbank but could not find much.

So, FWIW, here's my take: I used the AAPA review book some but also completed 1200 of the questions on Kaplan online. I set the questions to include all categories and took 30-40 questions in test mode at a time, but increased some tests to 50 questions to simulate the real length. I spent just over 2 weeks between graduation and test day doing questions every day except Sundays.

I found the Kaplan questions to be difficult and consistently scored between 60-70% on the exams with the highest score 80 and the lowest 27. They had a very broad range of questions and even with doing 1200 of them there were only a few that were repeating the same thing. I learned how to read questions, how to eliminate wrong answers, how to spot cues in the questions. Even so, some questions had red herrings so you still need to keep an open mind and think critically. Taking the PANCE was like a breath of fresh air after slaving through so many complicated and difficult questions on Kaplan.

I am curious as to others' experience with Kaplan and if you thought it was worthwhile. As we learned in Biostatistics, you can prove anything with an N=1, so take this with a grain of salt.

Just found out I passed the PANCE with a healthy margin. I was looking feverishly the last couple of weeks for others' experience with Kaplan qbank but could not find much.

So, FWIW, here's my take: I used the AAPA review book some but also completed 1200 of the questions on Kaplan online. I set the questions to include all categories and took 30-40 questions in test mode at a time, but increased some tests to 50 questions to simulate the real length. I spent just over 2 weeks between graduation and test day doing questions every day except Sundays.

I found the Kaplan questions to be difficult and consistently scored between 60-70% on the exams with the highest score 80 and the lowest 27. They had a very broad range of questions and even with doing 1200 of them there were only a few that were repeating the same thing. I learned how to read questions, how to eliminate wrong answers, how to spot cues in the questions. Even so, some questions had red herrings so you still need to keep an open mind and think critically. Taking the PANCE was like a breath of fresh air after slaving through so many complicated and difficult questions on Kaplan.

I am curious as to others' experience with Kaplan and if you thought it was worthwhile. As we learned in Biostatistics, you can prove anything with an N=1, so take this with a grain of salt.

how was the pance in terms of difficulty compared to kaplan? so far i've gone through mksap qbank and pretest medicine qbank. was considering the kaplan qbank, but it's expensive. has anyone tried uworld step 2 in prep for pance?

i'm curious as to the difficulty of the actual pance. the qbank on the CD that came with the previous aapa review book was far too easy, and the packrat required no thinking at all. i have doubts that the pance itself will be that simple...i am beyond nervous!

Don't know about the other qbanks, but I thought the PANCE was easier than Kaplan. And at $99 for 1 month access, it's about double the AAPA review book and worth far more. I would not say the PANCE is easy, but it was not as terrible as I was afraid it might be after seeing the scores I was getting on Kaplan. Good luck.

Don't know about the other qbanks, but I thought the PANCE was easier than Kaplan. And at $99 for 1 month access, it's about double the AAPA review book and worth far more. I would not say the PANCE is easy, but it was not as terrible as I was afraid it might be after seeing the scores I was getting on Kaplan. Good luck.

thanks for the insight...this is helpful!

-edit-

btw, did you happen to pay for that $35 mock exam that paea offers?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am 7.5 months from graduation. I just signed up for 12 months of Kaplan for $199 and just started doing questions in tutor mode. I like the question concepts and the fact that I am training myself to get used to question mode. I came across some questions that were on the PACKRAT. I personally think that no matter how much you read, the key is to train yourself to use the concepts in the form of questions. The fact that there are 1200+ questions helps me practice.

Archived