Anyone have luck getting accepted with older prereqs?

Some of my lower level chem and bio classes are from 2002-2003. I have a MS in Nutrition that I receieved in 2008 and many higher level biochem, physiology etc classes are from 2006. I also have ~8000 HCE hrs as in clinical dietitian in a acute care facility.

Wondering if anyone has had luck getting into programs without retaking the lower level science classes by petitioning programs for consideration of waiving the 10 yr prereq expiration date.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

I think that since you took the higher level courses more recently it should definitely help you out. I took my A&P in 04/05 but took biochem/organic more recently and I have been accepted to a program. THe fact that you have a master's degree also shows that you can handle graduate work, so i think that you will be just fine!

I just was accepted into a program and I had many older prereqs. I graduated with my bachelor's in 2003, therefore several of my sciences were taken from 1999-2003. I did A&P plus Micro this past year so those were newer. I also had a Master's degree in Counseling that I completed in 2009.

I graduated undergraduate in 2000. A lot of my prereqs were before that (Chemistry, O Chem, Stats, and Genetics). My A&P, Micro, and Psych were recent. I started my PA program in 2011. My program didn't have a "recency requirement". Some do, some don't. It seems to depend on the particular program. Good luck

kschill, I was in almost the same situation as you, with classes even dating back to 2001. I did try petitioning at some schools (Pacific U - OR, and Arizona Health Science U - AZ to name a couple) and failed 100%. A couple of the schools said that a few bad eggs spolied it for everyone to come. Thus, I sought out schools that did not have such strict requiremements (Midwestern - AZ/IL, Augsburg - MN, Rosalind Franklin - IL, UW Madison - WI, and Oregon Health and Science University - OR) and did get acceptances within that bunch. It is frustrating when you feel competent and when you have taken higher level classes but are still turned down. Good luck!

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Augsburg still requires all prerequisites to be five years old or less, but if you have upper division courses that use lower levels for prereqs, you may not need to retake them. For example, I didn't need to retake Gen Psych (which I took in the '80's) because it was a prereq for BioPsych. However, I DID have to retake Developmental Psych. You might ask other schools if they allow that as well.

Archived