Documenting Patient Care Hours

So I know CASPA says to document hours that you've already completed. However, many of my friends that are applying too are putting in hours til say, August or Sept. I started working before them so will have about 2000 hrs already completed. But if they put in their proposed hours then they will have more than me. Is this going to put me at a disadvantage even though I have actually completed mine and will continue to accumulate more til at at least next 2017 (I'm sort of under a contact). I've also indicated on my CASPA that my patient care hours is in progress.

I know this was a lengthy post, but I would appreciate any advice on whether to just input my already completed hours or to input proposed hours. Thanks!

If you know people who are actually putting in hours that they have not worked, then they are lying on their application.

You can specify ongoing commitment as explained in the FAQ (see below).  You can also update your application and add additional hours as a "new" experience - see the FAQ for "Updating the Application / Academic Update".  

Anything else violates the Professional Code of Conduct (also clearly outlined in the CASPA FAQ).  

Q: I’ve begun my experience, but plan on accumulating more hours before the PA program begins. Can I include those?

A: In the experience sections, you may only document (in hours/weeks, etc) the time already completed. Once you submit your application, you may not update your hours. However, in the text box under “duties” you may clarify your expected time commitment, and send any updates directly to the schools to which you are applying.

Yeah, I told them what the FAQ stated, but they said some of the schools that they are applying to allows putting in proposed hours. Oh well, I'll just keep my application as it is (with only completed hours) and hope for the best. Thank you, AliB!

Archived