Own-occupation Disability Insurance while Active Duty

Hi all,

Is it possible to get an own-occupation disability insurance policy while active duty in the military? So far the ones I've talked have said "hahahaha nope." Some of the military docs I've spoken to have said they were able to get some through the AMA but that policy is exclusively for physicians. The AAPA recently partnered with Ryan Insurance who sells Standard, but they don't give it out to active duty either.

It seems like a good thing to have, especially since if something happened to me where I wasn't able to be a PA but I could still answer phones, I see the military putting me to work on phones. 

Does anyone have any insight into this? Is the military really more generous than I think or are we just SOL until we finish active duty?

To clarify, I'm not worried about something that might happen while I'm in Iraq. I'm worried about what would happen to my family if I get seriously injured in a car accident or something else unrelated to military service. It's my understanding that for a career-ending event (although, of course, the military defines career-ending, as I said, I suspect they would just put me to work answering phones or something of that nature) then my injury will be assessed and 10-100% of my base pay (which is already about half of my pay as is) will be awarded (and I'm not really clear if nonservice related incidents are even included in this). So best case scenario, I get about 50% of my actual salary if something happens (which would be if I got a 100% disability rating, something which I feel is unlikely). Hardly a disability plan compared to others that give 60% of your actual salary.

Do I have this wrong? Has anyone else come across this before?

Thanks for any insight!

I'm a bit confused. If you are on active duty you get your pay regardless of duties performed, so answering the phone is irrelevant. If you are injured and get med boarded to civilian life, you get a disability check every month, but are still a PA able to get a civilian job.

I'm just not sure what injuries could be sustained that would allow continuation in the work force, but not as a PA in any capacity.

What are you hoping own occupation will do to change this? Historically, most insurance policies have provisions against high risk activities, such as military service, piloting single engine aircraft, suicide and other things increasing the likelihood of payouts.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the scenario.

I'm also confused by this.

You'll be taken care of while you're on active duty. If you die, your family will get a large pay out from your SGLI. If you are injured, you will either be medically separated (with a severance package and VA disability) or medically retired (meaning you and your family will have base privileges and access to health care for the rest of your life).

I'm tracking on what you're saying. If you loose your vision in some sort of accident and can no longer function as a PA, you'll get your base pay for 100% disability BUT that is not own occupation disability, which is what you want and which would give you much more money, WHILE ADDITIONALLY allowing you to answer the phone and get paid your full disability. Own occupation disability is great. 

Unfortunately I do not know of any company willing to take that risk with a job that can be so inherently dangerous. 

Please let me know if you find this company. 

Yep, Oakland132, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Haha that's what I've pretty much found. 

And to clarify for others: There are quite a few things I can think of that would make it difficult/impossible to function as a PA, although it all depends on where you work - paralysis, loss of sight, loss of limb, some degenerative disorders, etc. In these cases, you would be medically separated or retired, which if you have less than 20 years of service, is dependent on the rating the disability is given by the service. The severance package given is dependent on years of service (2 months per year of service) with a max payout of 24 months. Which, if you've been badly injured and can't function as a PA anymore, that's not so great. Own-occupation disability pays you 60% of your salary until you reach retirement age. We get two years maximum. You'll have enough bills to fit a PA income but you'll have no income or a small income. 

So for example, if I get MS while in service, can no longer function as a PA, then I'll be medically separated and given 30% of my base pay, or 30% of half of my salary. So about 15% of my actual salary. Which isn't terrible for never paying into the system, but I would much rather prefer to pay a little and have a lot more to fall back on. But that's just me. Although I think MS is considered service-connected for whatever reason so there is that. 

Oh well. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for now. Thanks for your replies!

Google traumatic SGLI. There is an active duty benefit that covers catastrophic injuries. There is even lump sum payment for certain injuries like the loss of two fingers or an eye. There is the availability for financial help for attendants if you have a loss of ability to conduct ADL's etc. some of the benefit is lifelong if you can no longer work and some is single payment.

Archived