Help Me!!!!

Ok, you experienced PA's need to help me. I am an RN who has been working with an Internal Medicine group for 15 years, and I LOVE my job. The supervisors of the office (One RN and others without healthcare backgrounds) want to send me to school to be an NP. I am more than willing to go to school, however, I do not want to be an NP. I want to be a PA. When I mentioned why not PA instead of NP since it yields a better product, I was told that "NP's can work independently and PA's cannot, we need you to cover when the MD's are not here". They would also like it if I could do an online program so I can still work with them. I love my job and don't want to leave, but what do I do??? Also, the school they want me to attend only has an Adult NP program, not a FNP program. I am so afraid if I do this and for some reason I have to leave this job I will have no marketability, and once I am an NP I can't go to PA school right? Would any PA program even accept an NP? The practice I work for only has MD's, and the offices are divided among three sites...does an MD have to be working with me at my site every day if I were a PA? There just has to be a doctor in the practice to sign off on my charts right? Please help me so I convince them to go the PA route.......

Thanks

It depends on the state you work in. In Michigan NP's and PA's can work independently with the doctor supervision from time to time. The family practice I shadowed had both an NP and a PA and the doctor worked at an office of his own 15 miles away and only came around 1-2 days a week. I am pretty sure it varies from state to state. Also there is no law that says you can't go to PA school once you become an NP...I'm just not sure why you would want to do that? I think a PA program would hold you in higher regard if you applied as a NP provided everything else is good on your app. but again not sure why you would want to do that if you are already a NP?

Do some research on PA "supervision" in your state. Many times, "supervision" does not mean MD/DO has to be physically onsite. The office may need some clarification on this. However, could be that this office (MDs) just prefer hiring NPs over PAs. Just depends on the area. Something to think about if you really want to stay with them. Paying for your schooling is a good incentive! That's one pro of going NP is the ability to work full time and utilize online program. But, IMO, not really sold on the validity of online didactic. All open book tests? How does staff really know who's taking the tests? Are all tests proctored? Would you feel confident in learning all that is needed online? Preparation for clinicals? Not saying you persoanlly can't, just something to think about.

I think PAMAC hit the nail on the head - NP is better for THEM for a number of reasons. But is it better for YOU?

Well, answer this: how important is it to become a PA vs NP? Yes the training is better (IMHO) but once in practice NP and PA can be similar. Is it a big deal to have to specialize and to not be able to do surgery? If it doesn't matter, well, having the NP paid for is a pretty sweet deal. While PAs can practice without supervision NPs have their own license which I'm sure you know... however I believe that has little do with why they want you to go NP (see PAMAC's post).

Anyways, it is a really sweet deal, and if you are going to stick with internal medicine, it would be hard to pass up on a paid education versus taking out 100K loans for PA school.

Archived