Two Jobs, New Grad

Has anyone worked two jobs right out of school? In different specialties?

My primary job would be as a full-time hospitalist PA, working 3 days a week. The second job would be as a PRN Urgent Care PA, working 1-2 days a week.

I did multiple urgent care rotations in school, at an extremely busy urgent care chain that saw 60-80 patients a day with just one provider and student. I definitely understand how people get burnt out full-time, but I think I would enjoy doing it PRN. I would appreciate the procedures as well such as suturing and I&D's.

While a second income would be great, I don't desperately need the money. My full-time job is is paying more money than I ever thought I could have made as a new graduate PA. My primary motivation for the PRN Urgent Care position is a genuine interest in urgent care, doing procedures and seeing a lot of "primary care"... and because I have the extra time.

What do you think? Has anyone worked 2 jobs right out of school, or have an opinion on it?

My primary job is ok with this, as long as they are notified and it does not interfere with my duties with them.

I originally planned on having two jobs - one FT job in the ER, and one PRN job in rehab. The rehab job didn't work out - because I was PRN they kind of expected me to hit the ground running with minimal training. Inside I felt like I needed weeks of one on one training, as it was my first job out of school - but I quickly found that since I was hired as PRN I couldn't expect to be handheld for a few weeks like I would at a full time job. It was too scary to be on my own completely without supervision after a few days of shadowing (and I suspect urgent care would be like that as well). As a result that job didn't work out - I left after those few days of training saying it just wasn't for me.

And actually I am glad it didn't work out for several reasons. 1) My ER job is enough work! It's hard enough to manage one job as a new grad... After work I am exhausted. 2) Overtime. Any hours I work over 40 I get overtime pay - I wouldn't be getting that pay if I was picking up my extra shifts at another job. 3) It's hard to "master" one thing if you're worried about another. Even with my few days at the rehab I had to spend a lot of time learning about drug detox stuff and my ER study suffered as a result.

So that's my experience. One could say that it's nice to start out with two jobs because it makes you well rounded. And that two jobs will keep you from getting bored...But I would argue that one job as a new grad is challenge enough. You'll have your hands full with your first one!!!

Another note - urgent care isn't a once in a lifetime kind of job. There are tons of UC, lots of demand for providers. I think it's a great idea to do eventually especially because you have the interest. But those UC jobs will ALWAYS be there. Get your feet wet with your primary job first. You want to be able to prioritize that job and give it your all - that's the one that matters right now, right? You need to give 100 percent to your first job (and trust me, it'll take 100 percent out of you - being a new grad is rough) - and then after a couple months then consider UC PRN. I don't see the rush. Get your feet wet!

I don't think there's harm in keeping the UC thing as a very very per diem second job...but not 1-2 days a week. 1-2 shifts a month will be good to keep you interested and help them out without interfering too much with your primary job. There is a LOT to learn with hospitalist medicine and it is very different from UC, although they can compliment one another well. For one, you'll easily recognize who needs to be admitted and who doesn't. I know my inpatient experience has made me even better at UC even though I've done UC for 15 years, but hospital medicine only for a few.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I'll piggy back to Doc^ and say, reconsider the per diem after 6-12 mo. My guess at that point you'll be even more prepared for uc and you'd know whether or not you'd actually want to lessen your free time... Couple shifts a month, however, would strike an excellent balance with YOUR ft position. You seem level headed, congrats and have fun, be safe

Archived