Rental/Apartments/Living in Seattle

Hey everyone, was wondering what you guys have found in the way of living arrangements for summer next year. Anyone have advice/opinions on where to live or have already found places to live?

If you just need the summer, I found the dorms to be just fine.

If you just need the summer, then I assume you'll be moving on in August. By doing the dorm thing you don't have to worry about furniture, a bed, desk, all that jazz. The rooms are designed for two people, with four rooms sharing a common kitchen/living room, but they only put 1 person in each room. You'll share a bathroom with one other person but isn't bad. Internet is included, laundry is very close to your room (and uses text alert to let you know when your cycle is done) and you can walk/bicycle to just about anything in town. Your student ID will come with a free bus pass as well. Plenty of rooms in the dorm to store a bicycle.

I did have a car on campus last summer but it was more because my wife/kids flew to Maryland for the summer and the parking on campus was cheaper than parking at the airport long term lot.

Yes, there was a time or two I wish I had ear plugs but that story can go anywhere you rent a room at. Be it loud roommates or inconsiderate neighbors.

I am a Yakima campus guy so I just did it for the summer. It has a full kitchen (gotta bring your own pots/pans/dishes) so I ate most of my meals in. The classroom is close enough to the dorms for an easy walk "home" at lunch then back in time for afternoon session (we got an hour break for lunch). The Birke-Gillman bike trail is at the front door to the dorms making walking or biking a car free breeze. "The Ave" is the local college orientated strip with bars/places to eat which is within easy staggering distance. "Earls on the Ave" is a dive but HOLY MOLY did your dollar go the distance if you need someone to mix you a mind eraser or two. (aka: consistently a heavy pour).

You may save money on the local economy by renting your own place but with all the hassles of finding a joint ,deposits, all that crap...wasn't worth it for six weeks for me.

In Yakima a couple of classmates and I have a three bedroom, 2 bath place about 3 miles from the school. Quiet neighborhood, new construction, 1000/mth. Quite happy with it.

I don't know if you need just the summer, but I've been randomly checking CL to get an idea of what's available and estimated costs. On the UW website there is a map of the neighborhoods so you can see where they are in relation to campus. From what I understand, once you get accepted through the grad school (not the PA program) you'll get a student number. With that, you can look at the trading boards. (I have no idea what they're actually called at UW; my undergrad university calls them that. Anyhow, they're where other students post housing/roommates.)

If it's just for the 6 weeks, the dorms do sound like a good bet. Who wants to worry about moving lots of furniture and stuff for such a short period of time?

my biggest concern is the partying potential by other students. It's been 30 years since I lived in the dorms, but I can't imagine it's changed for the better ! LOL!!

My guess is that the "partiers" (sp?) are on summer break, not doing summer school :) I've heard they group the adult learners together as best possible, So maybe that cuts down on the party atmosphere? :)

My guess is that the "partiers" (sp?) are on summer break, not doing summer school :) I've heard they group the adult learners together as best possible, So maybe that cuts down on the party atmosphere? :)

Ah, EXCELLENT point, thanks for the info! I really like the idea of being within walking/biking distance of everything which also makes the dorms super enticing to me.

For our class, they grouped most of the Medex students together. In my dorm room, I had three other classmates, with more classmates just down the sidewalk, which equated to "ready made study groups" which worked well for me. I am under the impression that we were in the "graduate dorms", which are separate from undergrad dorms...and as the point was already made, most of the campus rowdiness isn't there during the summer.

We did get some upstairs neighbors that had a penchant for making a bit of extra noise at odd hours...One particular evening (early morning really) I finally passed my tolerance point and paid them a visit. After that conversation, things were all peachy.

The biggest noise maker is the horn for the drawbridge on University Blvd which can be heard from the dorms. But that is just life in the city.

Sounds like the dorms are the best bet for those of you who do not live here & are not staying in Seattle for the first year.

If you are staying in Seattle for the first year, then you have a lot of options, but they are dependent on your situation:

1. If you have no car & like using the bus system, then look for something in Seattle, even though the prices are higher. Always find out the exact bus routes & how long it takes to get to school from them, because going by the mile distance from school is not a good way to estimate how long it will take to get there. A simple 15 minute car ride can be well over an hour if you have to take multiple transfers to get you where you're going.

2. If you have a car for running around, but still want to commute to school & back by bus, then you can look a little further out in order to get something a little cheaper if you wish. Picking someplace close to a "Park & Ride" that will take you directly to the UW is a good idea to cut down on commute times. You still have to verify all the times/number of transfers of bus routes, etc. I can't stress that enough... The bus systems here do not use systems or routes that always make sense to those of us who live here, much less to those who are from out of the area.

3. If you don't like living in the city, & want to drive your own car, & don't mind dealing with traffic... then, in my opinion, the best places to look are north of Seattle along the I-5 corridor. Check out places like Shoreline, Edmonds, or Mountlake Terrace. You can go further north to places like Lynnwood, Mill Creek, or south Everett, but Lynnwood is always a bottleneck for anything north of there coming south. So, those options may be cheaper in rent, but you'll pay the price in gas & commute times unless you carpool.

Also, regardless of how you're getting to school, due to recent & upcoming changes to the bridges going across Lake Washington (tolling/repairs), I would not recommend looking at anything south of the 520 Bridge. Some of us have to deal with this because we are already settled, but if you're gonna be new to the area you can save yourself the headache.

Hello,

I've been accepted into the Seattle program and will be moving up from Arizona. I'm open to the roommate thing since it looks crazy expensive to live in Seattle. I don't plan on bringing a car so being within walking/ biking distance to school would be great, I would also do a short bus drive. I have a dog (about 50 lbs) so a yard is important as well. If anybody is interested in rooming up just message me and we can talk. I'm 30, awesome cook, triathlete, animal lover.

I've already started researching places to live and getting a house in Laurelhurst, Montlake, Wallingford, Raveena, etc... would be great!

Jenny

Hello,

I've been accepted into the Seattle program and will be moving up from Arizona. I'm open to the roommate thing since it looks crazy expensive to live in Seattle. I don't plan on bringing a car so being within walking/ biking distance to school would be great, I would also do a short bus drive. I have a dog (about 50 lbs) so a yard is important as well. If anybody is interested in rooming up just message me and we can talk. I'm 30, awesome cook, triathlete, animal lover.

I've already started researching places to live and getting a house in Laurelhurst, Montlake, Wallingford, Raveena, etc... would be great!

Jenny

Add Ballard to your search...the Birke-Gillman bike trail is a paved rail to trail path that goes for mmiiillleeessss so if you don't mind biking in the rain, you have many options.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived