NHSC Loan Repayment Application Cycle

I'm a new PA who took a job at a FQHC with a high HPSA score in hopes of getting the loan repayment working for me. Does anyone know exactly when the application cycle is supposed to be open? I thought that it would be open by now and I've been sweating about it for the last few weeks. I called the NHSC and they told me I haven't missed anything, just to add my email address to the notification list and I would receive a note when it opened up.

Does anyone out there know anything about when to expect the application cycle to open? And how long from the time I complete the application, till the time I have a big 'ol check in my hands? Some re-assurance would greatly be appreciated.

I'm in clinical rotations right now and intend to work at an NHSC approved site after graduation. Working in an underserved community (ideally my own community, which has several qualifying clinics) is why I decided to become a PA, and getting my loans paid back would be a nice addition to what I intend to do anyway. Does anyone know if I can apply now or do I have to wait to secure a job at a qualified clinic after I graduate first? Unfortunately they cycle will probably end before I graduate in late July. I'm pretty sure, from my research on the site, that I must secure the job first. But it also says that you need a contract to work w/in 60 days of receiving loan repayment? I find the information a little confusing. The Guidance document they provide for applying is for doctors and talks about residency etc. and does not mention PAs at all....

I'm in clinical rotations right now and intend to work at an NHSC approved site after graduation. Working in an underserved community (ideally my own community, which has several qualifying clinics) is why I decided to become a PA, and getting my loans paid back would be a nice addition to what I intend to do anyway. Does anyone know if I can apply now or do I have to wait to secure a job at a qualified clinic after I graduate first? Unfortunately they cycle will probably end before I graduate in late July. I'm pretty sure, from my research on the site, that I must secure the job first. But it also says that you need a contract to work w/in 60 days of receiving loan repayment? I find the information a little confusing. The Guidance document they provide for applying is for doctors and talks about residency etc. and does not mention PAs at all....

I had this question last year too. To apply, you need to put down a state license number (so, after graduation and PANCE), and proof that you will work 90 days after submitting the application. So you'd want to do it next cycle.

Archived