Female Navy PA's

I am posting this in hopes that someone will have insight on what types of Individual Assignments or deployments female PA's do in the Navy. I know they cannot serve with Marines, but are there other limitations? I am also under the understanding, from posts in this forum, that there are approx. less than 200 PA's in the Navy and that most are taking over MD/DO GMO's.

I am AD Navy (not a HM) working on pre-reqs to apply to IPAP. Any information would be appreciated.

God bless and thank you to all my fellow present and prior service members.

So when you say Marine Squadron... is it like a "flight surgeon" type of position? Never really talked to the flight surgeon in our squadron, but he was there to basically do sick call/immunizations during deployment. It's been hard to find an AD PA, let alone a female AD PA, here on base that I can ask questions to. Thank you for the info.

So when you say Marine Squadron... is it like a "flight surgeon" type of position? Never really talked to the flight surgeon in our squadron, but he was there to basically do sick call/immunizations during deployment. It's been hard to find an AD PA, let alone a female AD PA, here on base that I can ask questions to. Thank you for the info.

Not sure if they do flight surgeon billets or not. Like was stated above, no infantry, but you could be with a Forward Service Support Group, which has different aspects like Shock/Trauma platoons, etc, and usually are the first to get the patients besides the treating corpsman.

What base are you on? Your best bet is to call the base hospital/clinic and start asking around. I'm sure one of the PAs in the clinic knows a PA that knows a female PA that is doing whatever it is that you're interested in.

Actually I don't think any PA's go with Wing (the squadrons) in flight surgeon billets. I was just speculating how a female would have obtained an FMF warfare device. But I guess the FSSG scenario mentioned above is more likely. FSSG is an older term, by the way - the new one is CLG (Combat Logistics Group) or MLG (Marine Logistics Group).

Traditionally women PAs have not been with division but this is a highly evolving situation right now. I agree that for now infantry is a No-Go for the most part but IA assignments change this picture and has prompted a different approach to the process of billet assignment. Talk to those who have recently deployed, such as myself, and they/I will tell you that women PAs are at FOBs, COPs, etc. so this is changing everything in the rear. I even have a fellow PA (female) at my current billet that went on a 12 month deployment with the Army and served as the Dept Head of the Med Det of a PRT. Not something some would have imagined possible a few years back but pretty common place nowadays.

Archived