Commuting to Duke PA Program

We have our own building with our own DPAP (Duke Physician Assistant Program) Parking lot, so you don't even need a "Big Duke" parking pass! Just drive and park and walk less than 1000 ft (I have no idea how far, but its close) to the front door! :) In the fall we have anatomy lab on Fridays at the medical center, and then there is a green bus (biodiesel) that takes us back and forth (or you can drive and pay to park in one of the garages). If you are a biker or runner- the American Tobacco Trail passes just on the other side of the senior center, so that's another great option too. This year, the Green Committee has implemented "Green Tuesdays" where everyone walks/bikes/runs/carpools to school. A lot of our class (20/80) live in 1520 Magnolia, with a few of us in the surrounding area, and another large chunk at Alexan Garrett Farms- most of us have a 7-12 minute drive to school and its not bad. You can live right downtown at like West Village, which are amazing lofts in old warehouses, but you are looking at $1k+ a month in rent and no washers/dryers!

Short answer: Most of us drive and parking is a breeze! :)

I wouldn't discount West Village! Especially if proximity is important to you as WV is about 3 blocks down Duke St. from the PA school. I lived in those apartments recently and passed the school all the time. The apartments are very reasonable with a roommate and there are washers/dryers down the hall, which wasn't a problem for me at all. If anyone is trying to figure out where to live in Durham and has questions about those apartments feel free to PM me! I personally loved the loft style and the location, and if I somehow end up going to Duke PA school in the future I would definitely live there again!

Thanks, Loves2Share & AlexandraPPA! That's all great information! I was just invited for interview so this is all a bit premature, but I was just curious. The PA program here at UF doesn't have a parking lot and parking on campus is a real pain so most people try to live nearby and take the bus...

Archived