Etiquette

What is the proper etiquette for letting schools know that you are no longer interested in their school? I have been accepted to a school and (on my list of originally 14) there are 4 schools I still want to interview at (one I have a scheduled interview and 3 I am waiting to hear from still) and the rest of the schools I don't particularly want to go to at this point as the school I got into is higher on my personal list than the other schools..... so, I didn't know if I should withdraw from the schools so I don't want their time even having them review my application or I should I only withdraw if I get an interview invite from them. ((One schools sent me an email saying they didnt receive my GRE scores yet although the rest of my application was already reviewed. I did not release my scores to this school and saved the $25 as this school was one of the schools that I no longer wanted to go to.)) Any suggestions on what to do or what to say would be appreciated! Thanks all!

Congrats on the acceptance!!

If you have no desire to attend a program, withdraw. It's a waste of your time and resources to continue interviewing when you know you don't want to go there. Plus, you are taking a spot that someone else could have had. Be prompt, be polite (thank them for the invitation!) and be brief. The people who run the programs know there are a lot of multiple interviews and acceptances, and realize you can only attend one school. Some of the schools asked for a reason and I told them I'd been accepted into a program that I felt was a better fit; no need to be negative in any way.

You could just as easily call, but I like that email leaves a record. Also, it seems that reaching someone in the office can be tricky with so much going on right now.

In my opinion, I'd go ahead and withdraw. The interview slot itself, if they were planning on giving you one, could go to someone else that really wants to go to that school. So if you know now, even before hearing about interviews, that you wouldn't want to go there over the school you've already been accepted to, then get out now and leave that interview slot for someone else! Good luck to you, and congrats on your acceptance so far!

Archived