Interview question help

During my last interview, I was asked about why I wanted to leave my old profession (counseling/social work) to become a PA. The *real* reason I want to leave is that I am burned out on this kind of work. I enjoy working with people, but it was challenging to deal with all of the personal problems of my clients along with a lack of resources to help them. I had reached the top of my pay scale and was still living like a college student. Now I know there are similar challenges to being a PA, and I've thought these through and am ready to face them. I think that being paid fairly will help me to feel like what I'm doing is worth something. Plus I can continue to use my people skills and work to make a difference in people's lives.

That being said, I didn't want to badmouth my old profession or say that I was burned out. I kind of fumbled my way through this question and I'm wondering if this may be one of the reasons I was not accepted to this program.

Any tips or ideas?

Try to focus on positive aspects instead. For example, you could say that while you found your work as a social worker fulfilling, medicine was rewarding on many levels. You felt you could do more through medicine, and are interested in the lifelong learning process that practicing medicine entails. Highlight how you learned that there is much more to healing someone than just prescribing something or giving treatment, that social work helped you realize each patient is an individual with personal fears, needs and concerns. Etc etc.

It's really impossible to say if that was a reason you weren't accepted to a program. The important thing is that you keep your head up and prepare yourself for these type of questions in the future.

Archived