National Health Service Corp - has anyone taken one of these jobs?

I'm looking at the website (http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/index.html) and it's saying they will pay back $60k for a 2 year commitment and 100k for a 3 year commitment. It says "up to" so I'm wondering if that's the "catch"?

I've heard you get paid on top of that (im assuming it wouldn't be much) but even if it were only 60k a year it seems like it'd be worth it.

However I can't find any information about what you are paid monthly while working one of these jobs.

Has anyone taken a job with the NHSC and care to share their experience?

I am a current loan repayor. You negotiate a contract with your place of employment. The NHSC money is on top of your negotiations and is to be used for student loan payoff. Each of your loans has to be certified in the initial application and money can only be used to pay on those loans. Its a great way to get school paid for if you can find a place to work that is an approved NHSC site.

Can anyone speak about how competitive it is to actually obtain approval for your application? I'm sure it's more challenging than just qualifying and filling out the application.

It probably varies from year to year, but does anyone know if there are any published numbers of applicants/approvals?

I apologize if this was addressed somewhere else in the forum.

Not sure if these National Health Service Corp jobs are a great idea. I just saw a posting for a job with the Cedar Community Health Center in Lansing MI for a Physician Assistant. Advertised salary is $68,331. They want someone with 3-5 years experience as a Physician Assistant. Is this a joke? As I understand it, there is no guarantee of loan repayment. If you go with this job, it seems like you are losing money right away because it isn't a competitive salary (unless Michigan is known for really poor pay). It seems to me that the site knows it is qualified for loan repayment so they are taking their cut by offering a lower salary. Why would a PA with 5 years experience take the job? They could do better elsewhere without any loan repayment.

Archived