Question regarding IPAP

I was doing a bit of research today into the different IPAP paths, Navy vs Army vs AF, and I noticed on one of the Army websites it stated that it's students receive a Bachelors degree from U of Nebraska Medical Center following completion of their first year in the program. And then obviously receive their Master's upon completion of the program.

Does anyone know if this is solely for the Army or do the other branches offer this as well? I'm a Navy HM and I was looking into the HM to BSN program to obtain my Nursing degree, however, if I could obtain both degrees in two years then that would be more ideal. I'd prefer to stay in the Navy which is why I'm asking.

Anyways, this is the text straight from the Army's powerpoint regarding the PA program.

"Bachelor of Science Degree from University of Nebraska at end of phase I

Masters Degree from University of Nebraska upon completion of 2yr program"

Any information would be much appreciated, HM3 Frick

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nmtc/Pages/IPAP.aspx

Under the course length/structure heading I read "IPAP Navy graduates are awarded a Master of Physician Assistant Studies degree and commissioned as a LTJG into the Medical Service Corps"

Nurses provide a great service, but one that is quite a bit different from PA. One is a path of holistic approach to supporting wellness in their patients, following the treatment orders from a licensed care provider. The other is one focused on utilizing evidence based medical practices to aid in the determination of which treatment will benefit their patients the most, then writing orders for the patient care team to follow. Are you clear on which path you are ready to follow? Both will require time, energy, dedication and sacrifice. If you are ambiguous about your decision, it will reflect directly on your overall job satisfaction.

Good luck

Well... I wasn't really looking for an explanation on the differences between the types of healthcare models, but I do understand what you are trying to say and point out. My main goal here was to figure out if this was something I should pursue within the Army, or if it was something that I could attempt to complete within the Navy. Any further input would be much appreciated, especially from others who have gone through the IPAP program.

I understand there is a difference in the Nursing vs Medical model, however, I think this will eventually be a benefit to me down the road should I choose to pursue both nursing and PA. Obviously healthcare is a collaborative effort between providers, and being such, I think it can only benefit me to know the various angles of treatment and care.

Thanks, HM3 Frick

Thanks again for the replies, but I'm trying to figure out if you can get a Bachelors Degree going through IPAP via the Navy? I'm aware that all the branches grant a Masters degree, but some of the Army information I came across said it granted both a Bachelors and a Masters.

?? If you get a Masters, why worry about a Bachelors? Or is there something I'm missing here...

Hi HM2PA,

Thanks for the additional info. I was reading back on one of the other threads I started along the same topic and you provided me a lot of good info regarding the IPAP program. As I said earlier I would prefer to stay Navy as my roots are as a Corpsman and I take great pride in that. Glad to see the Navy is offering both as well. I was thinking about going through a BSN program but if I could get both through IPAP that would be ideal and get me to my goal much sooner.

So, you can only apply to IPAP if you're AD? Or can you apply as a reservist, but then you're required to complete AD time following school? I know going from reserves to AD can be pretty difficult.

Also, just wanted to ask how the program is going? Is there anything you would do (college classes, training, etc) to better prepare yourself for IPAP knowing what you know now?

Thanks, HM3 Frick

The Navy only takes AD enlisted applicants for Navy seats in the class. Period. If you want in to this school and you want to stay Navy, you're going to have to find some way to go active first - I wouldn't think that would be difficult?

The Army will take AD and Reserve applicants, officer and enlisted, as well as applicants from other services. You would essentially be going into an AD Army slot right before you class up and would incur the same active service obligation.

Curious why you're focused on the bachelors degree? It really doesn't matter. I mean, if you need one as a pre-req for PA school I get that, but IPAP doesn't require one. So once you're in, who cares? It's really just a technicality that they give one at all (so that they can later grant the Masters, I think).

Anyway, the program is going great. Challenging, but the didactic portion was recently lengthened from 12 to 16 months with no additional coursework, so we have a little bit more breathing room than previous classes have had. And of course you can't beat the combination of full pay and no tuition.

I was previously a directly commissioned officer in the Navy Chaplain Corps. I am now a civilian working as a police officer. I have no science background from my undergrad. However, I have become highly interested in the PA path. I understand this is no easy task with all the pre-req classes and such. Nevertheless, I am wondering if this program is available to civilians. Better yet, is their a possibility of getting re-commissioned and go directly into the IPAP program, since I was honorably discharged as a LTJG. Side note, I had to leave the Chaplain Corps due to my decision to leave seminary.

None of the services accept civilian applicants to IPAP, and there is no path to be direct commissioned as an IPAP student. Since you can't enlist in the Navy as a prior officer (right?) you would have to commission into the Army somehow, and then apply to IPAP afterwards. From what I understand the AF is set to accept officer applicants as well, possibly as soon as next cycle. In any case, you wouldn't be able to get any guarantees ahead of time about getting in.

• 2 weeks later...

There are dedicated Guard and Reserve slots. I think the service obligation is the same as AD Army (4.5 yrs IIRC). Application is via your state folks, I believe. You go back to your state Guard after school (since your state funded you). Alternatively, you can compete for an AD Army slot (and obviously remain on AD after school).

I thought that if you went from Guard to IPAP you were automatically converted to AD. That is interesting, I'll have to ask my local unit about that. I hear that the Air Force is now eligible for the IPAP, does that also include their Guard/Reserve units? Would you, per se, have a better "chance" if you went through one branch via the other?

Thanks.

Yeah, all the services have been together since 1996. Only the Army has non-AD slots, AFAIK. Each service does their own selections, although minimum requirements are set by the program. No idea which boards are more or less competetive - presumably it varies year to year, but i've not heard any figures (# of applicants per seat, etc.).

• 1 month later...

I just Started looking into IPAP as an option, I was determined to get out and do the PA program at a school as a civilian, but now I am very torn. This option provides a great oportunity to do what I have been trying to for the last 3 years. My question is I do know the Coast Guard sends applicants to IPAP as well. I am Currently enlisted in the Air Force, and have been for 5 years. I was looking at going to the coast guard after my Air Force time is up to do IPAP. Does anyone know what the coast guard would do in that situation? I am reallyt confused, I have been told and have seen that they take you in and then commission you once your done, as well as the point that I could not directly commission in and go to IPAP. Which is true? I currently hold a Bachelors in Health and Human services and Civil Engineering, and I was wondering would I have to enlist in the Coast Guard and go through their basic again before I could think about IPAP? Or could I tell the recruiter that I want to do IPAP and start the process there?

I'm pretty sure you would have to enter the CG first and then apply to IPAP. They send enlisted and officer students here, but I think there are fewer officer slots (and there aren't exactly a lot of CG slots to begin with). To my knowledge, the only service that accepts applicants from other services is the Army.

Why are you enlisted in the AF with a civil engineering degree anyway? From what I hear, the AF is going to start accepting officer applicants soon.

Your best bet would be to talk to a CG recruiter, but be advised that it's not always a cakewalk for prior service applicants to get in. I think they get way more interested folks than they need, and a lot depends on if they need your particular skill set at that point in time. I think you probably would lose rank as well.

Thanks for the info, Im in the Air force because when I was in my senior year as a civil engineer najor I changed my mind in the final semester. So instead of switching then and inccurring more loans and fees to go to a completely different major I just finished. I then decided to go into the AF because my uncle was in it at the time and told me it was great for me, plus I wanted to get a medical career path. after I quit my CE job that i got after college, I needed a job and I wanted something eciting yet that made a difference. So I became a Paramedic and was lucky enough to get selected to work for FDNY. I was so amazed and ecited to go to work each day becasue it was new and different. I fell in love with being a medic and I became good at what I did to get more saticfaction.

I them took a job in the DC area working as a rescue medic on a Rescue squad. I fell deeper in love with the emergency medical profession. I then came into the AF to get a medical degree as well as work as a combat medic to get a different prospective. Well I want to be a PA because I feel I can affect the most change and do the most good in that position. I dont have a God complex or a hero complex or any type of I need to save everyone complex, not saying doctors do, and thats why I want to be a PA not a Doc.

I feel that im tired of deploying and really want to focus on a medical career but I like the military otherwise. So I figured the CG would be my best bet since they have the options to not deploy. But I am trying to figure out whether to pursue IPAP to become a PA or should I just get out and try to do it as a civilian? I was a medic before the military and my heart is with emergency medicine. So sorry for the long back story, I just felt it would give a little better background on what I am trying to do.

• 2 weeks later...

AD Aviano, IPAP is a give and take relationship. If you're wanting a free $450,000 education, plus being paid a nice salary just to go through the program and then a commission after you graduate with special incentive pays and a kick-*** career; you better damn well believe Uncle Sam is going to put your *** to work, deployment or not. If your heart's in emergency med, guess what IPAP isn't for you. You're going to be a Family Practice PA for at least 2-4 years before thinking of spreading your wings into other specialties. My question to you is why aren't you applying for AF IPAP? You would have to at least have 3 years AD for Coast guard to even apply. You can't just join a service and apply. That's not how the program is ran. The program uses a whole person concept, so credibility is a huge factor in selection. You're not very marketable with only 6 months in a service if you catch my drift. That and the respective service is going to get what they can out of you. The biggest thing for you is to be aware of the requirements each service sets for IPAP. Now academically, almost all service requirements are the same. One of the biggest problems for some folks are classes older than 5 years, which they end up having to pay out of packet expense for since TA won't cover them. Just some awareness for you. And just an FYI note, AF IPAP applications took a huge hit last year. Only 58 applications and 28 selectees. There are 37 authorizations, which left 9 seats available. You may want to rethink your decision to change services if you feel "PA" is your calling. My recommendation for you is to go interview a PA and maybe shadow one when you get a better understanding of what one does. Then see if it is a right calling for you.

AD Aviano, IPAP is a give and take relationship. If you're wanting a free $450,000 education, plus being paid a nice salary just to go through the program and then a commission after you graduate with special incentive pays and a kick-*** career; you better damn well believe Uncle Sam is going to put your *** to work, deployment or not. If your heart's in emergency med, guess what IPAP isn't for you. You're going to be a Family Practice PA for at least 2-4 years before thinking of spreading your wings into other specialties. My question to you is why aren't you applying for AF IPAP? You would have to at least have 3 years AD for Coast guard to even apply. You can't just join a service and apply. That's not how the program is ran. The program uses a whole person concept, so credibility is a huge factor in selection. You're not very marketable with only 6 months in a service if you catch my drift. That and the respective service is going to get what they can out of you. The biggest thing for you is to be aware of the requirements each service sets for IPAP. Now academically, almost all service requirements are the same. One of the biggest problems for some folks are classes older than 5 years, which they end up having to pay out of packet expense for since TA won't cover them. Just some awareness for you. And just an FYI note, AF IPAP applications took a huge hit last year. Only 58 applications and 28 selectees. There are 37 authorizations, which left 9 seats available. You may want to rethink your decision to change services if you feel "PA" is your calling. My recommendation for you is to go interview a PA and maybe shadow one when you get a better understanding of what one does. Then see if it is a right calling for you.

Archived