Will staying home with family and working part-time before PA school look bad?

I would love to get some of your guys' opinions. I have a 5 month old daughter and up until a couple months ago I was working in the healthcare world (have about 2600 HCE hours). Because I know how taxing PA school will be on my family, I decided to work part-time outside the healthcare realm (and quit my HCE job) so that I could have more time to spend with my wife and child before school begins. I have been granted interviews to every school I have applied to (5 total) and am worried that they will either be worried that I have an infant or that I decided to work less before school to spend more time with my family.

Please, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

You don't have to tell them you have a five month old....I don't think it would negatively affect your interview anyway. Frankly, I think your rationale is sound. When I was in PA education I would have welcomed it.

Thank you for responding! I don't think that volunteering that I have a 5 month old is wise, however, I feel like they will ask me what I am currently doing and when I say I am no longer working in the healthcare field I figure some of them might find that weird and want an explanation. No?

I am only Pre-PA, so take it for what it's worth: I don't see that as a downside at all. Instead, it tells me you are someone who is committed to what you care about and that you have the foresight to realize that PA school is going to be very difficult and time-consuming- AND that you did something about it. Your child will be over 1 year old when you would begin (I am assuming Fall 2012 matriculation). I know with both of my children, things like schedules came much easier after the age of 1. It is not the same as trying to manage a newborn and school, though it will still be hard. Best wishes to you in your interviews!

I don't think you have to hide anything. You sound mature and that is all the interview is about. They know your grades, they read your letters of recommendation, they know if you are literate by your personal statement.....the interview is to get a feel for our manner....dress nicely, look them in the eye, smile and relax. Be able to speak about your desire to be a PA.....showing them you are a considerate husband and father is a plus!!!

Best of luck to you and your wife ....it will be hard but worth it!!

I might have waited until after my interviews to quit, but just be honest about your reasoning and i cant see that it will kill you. How about taking a community college continuing ed spanish class (or whatever) so you can show you are still doing somthing to prepare/improve yourself. Dunno, just a thought.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I have two little girls and talked about them during my interview (for an appropriate amount of time), that seemed to make a huge difference. And no, I didn't bring pictures. They knew that I worked full time, was a full time dad AND got good grades. That screams dedication. Having kids, wanting to spend more time with them and creating that opportunity to spend time with them will NOT reflect negatively on you. On the contrary, it will probably make you look pretty good. Besides, chances are you will be interviewed by someone that has kids. They will absolutely understand. Just be prepared to answer questions about how you plan on juggling your family responsibilities and your school work. When it comes to working a non-HCE job, they won't care. You have your HCE, you are dedicated to the field, and now you are doing what you feel is best for your family. Again, that will not reflect negatively on you. Be proud of the fact that you provide for your family.

It might not even be an issue. Only 1 of the 6 interviews asked me what I was currently doing though they all knew I was no longer military and that I had graduated, so it actually would have made a lot of sense to ask. None asked about kids (though I don't have any) or my husband. Like everyone else, I think your plan is a good idea; you definitely have to find a balance between family and work/school and it seems like you've done that. Hope the rest of the process goes well for you. :)

Archived