Personal Statement critique

I need help with transitions between paragraphs and the just the overall content. I have been working on this for about a month and a half and am still not completely happy with it. If someone could help me that would be great! Thank you! =)

Life experiences shape what a person becomes. Mine have directed me to the path of medicine. Throughout my life I have been on the receiving end of medicine and it has left a great impression on my future. At age seventeen, I spent a month at the Children's Institute in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania learning how to reduce the painful effects of Reflex Neurovascular Dystrophy. The Children's Institute is a progressive facility that provides health care services for diseases and illnesses that are not treated in many other places in the United States. During my stay, seeing children in emotional and physical distress made me want to reach out and relieve their pain. This experience gave me the desire to live a life helping others.

Watching the staff at the institute improve the quality of life of its patients made me want to do the same. As a physician assistant I can do this, and will be able to spend more time with each patient and offer a deeper level of patient trust and care. The flexibility this career offers, such as moving from specialty to specialty, also captured my interest in this profession. Being a physician assistant will allow me to provide care to those in need and also give me the opportunity to further explore my passion for the anatomy and physiology of the human body. Not only is the diagnostic aspect of medicine important, but so is the preventative aspect. A background in public health provides me with the capability to also focus on preventative medicine and patient education, which are essential for long-term patient wellness.

To receive my degree in Public Health, I completed a 12-week internship at the Volunteers in Medicine (VIM) Clinic in South Carolina in order to see medicine in real life. It was seen first hand what could not be experienced through a textbook. At the VIM, sixty-percent of the patients were Latino and a large percent of them could not speak English. This made for a challenging yet rewarding experience. For the first time in my life, I was truly the minority. Interning at a free clinic was an opportunity to observe multiple professions and specialties of medicine including gynecology, pediatrics, surgery, ear, nose and throat, orthopedics, radiology, nurse practitioners and physician assistants all in one place. I was able to shadow each profession and see common illnesses such as strep throat and also more rare diseases like Mondor's Disease. Interning at the VIM gave me the opportunity for patient interaction with men, women and children. Every day brought new patients and new opportunities to learn. Each time I stepped into the exam room, I listened to the patient's symptoms and tried, for myself, to determine their diagnosis before the physician did. Everyone at the clinic worked as a team to give the patients the best possible care, and patients were exceedingly grateful for the free healthcare they received. This experience only further reinforced my desire to become a physician assistant and to work in an underprivileged area.

Tough circumstances have made me a stronger and more determined individual. First hand experiences in being the patient will allow me to have a greater connection with my patients. My interpersonal skills will help to gain rapport with patients and colleagues, which will improve the quality of care each person receives. Medicine is not just a career for me it is a passion.

Thank you for taking the time to read my PS and reply to it. I haven't had the opportunity to work in the medical field. I just graduated and did not have the opportunity to work in the medical field while in school so this is the experience I have had. I had a choice between many different internships in many different areas, so it wasn't as much as I was forced to work in that area. Should I say more that I chose to go to the VIM over other places? I also feel like I did make a difference interning there because they were greatly understaffed, should I also mention that? I wish I had the opportunity for more health related experiences before applying but that just isn't the case. I know this is what I really want to do, I think I'm just having a hard time expressing that.*

Thank you for taking the time to read my PS and reply to it. I haven't had the opportunity to work in the medical field. I just graduated and did not have the opportunity to work in the medical field while in school so this is the experience I have had. I had a choice between many different internships in many different areas, so it wasn't as much as I was forced to work in that area. Should I say more that I chose to go to the VIM over other places? I also feel like I did make a difference interning there because they were greatly understaffed, should I also mention that? I wish I had the opportunity for more health related experiences before applying but that just isn't the case. I know this is what I really want to do, I think I'm just having a hard time expressing that.*

Archived