Almost ready to go but just need another set of eyes to proofread

Was this easy to read?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Was this easy to read?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

This is for a supplemental application

1) What is my specific interest in the OHSU program?

There are three characteristics of the Oregon Health & Science University program that appeal to me. First, the longer clinical phase as compared to other physician assistant programs is appealing because hands-on experience is very important in retaining knowledge. Second, through my research of this program, I learned I would be traveling to Southwestern Washington and Eastern Idaho for rotations. Traveling is a great way to grow personally and professionally and will also be a great way for me to learn about the needs of the populations of this area. Finally, I would like to attend school in an area where I can settle down permanently after I graduate. The abundance of outdoor activities that the Portland area offers is ideal for an avid hiker like me.

2) How would I respond to a friend who asks, "What is a PA, is that like a doctor in training or a nurse?"

My response would be the knowledge and training of a PA is more like a doctor in training but the time they spend with the patient is more comparable to that of a nurse. PAs receive master’s degrees and training to practice medicine just as doctors do. This means they can diagnose, treat, order labs, and write prescriptions. On the other hand, nurses take vitals, chart patient information, and ensure the patient receives the medicine and lab orders prescribed by the PA or doctor but they can not diagnose or write prescriptions themselves. What a nurse and PA do have in common is they both must practice under the supervision of a doctor.

3) Please describe your interactions with any clinically practicing PAs

At the time of this application, I have shadowed Tammara Beeghley, PA-C at the Center for Health and Wellness in Las Vegas for approximately 60 hours over the last ten months. I knew I had picked the right career to pursue the first time I observed her assess, diagnose, and set up a treatment plan. I have observed her in every aspect of her practice from seeing patients to submitting referrals and prior authorizations. I use the time in between appointments to read labs, ask her questions, and use Harrison’s reference book to learn more about what I just observed during the appointment. Her ability to establish a rapport with her patients and genuine concern for her patients’ overall wellness inspires me to emulate the same as a physician assistant. In addition, I shadowed alongside PA students completing their rotations with her. This was not only beneficial because they were able to answer any medical questions I had but they also gave me great advice regarding this application process. Even as a student shadow they have made me feel part of their team and I look forward to the day I am given my student medical identification badge.

4) This program strives to create a class of individuals with varied backgrounds and interest. If accepted, what would you see as your greatest contribution?

I will contribute skills I have acquired from working as a pharmacy technician while going to school in the fast-paced, ever-changing, melting pot that is Las Vegas, Nevada. First, I have acquired the skills it takes to recognize and prevent cross cultural miscommunications while working with patients and healthcare team members from all over the world. Second, my ten years of experience have also given me a great working knowledge of hundreds of drugs and their doses which is very beneficial given the high risk of medication errors. Lastly, I have always worked in a high volume store and from this I have sharpened my innate ability to stay calm and professional in a stressful environment.

• 1 month later...

"My response would be the knowledge and training of a PA is more like a doctor in training but the time they spend with the patient is more comparable to that of a nurse."

Not true in many (most?) practices. PAs can actually be busier than a physician and have less time per patient. I would say something more along the lines of PAs are trained in a medical model to complement physician training. I would also say that PAs and nurses are both important as part of a medical team working with physicians, because schools love to hear that you understand teamwork.

Disclaimer: I received a very nice rejection letter from OHSU last week :) However, I am 22 and had barely met their hours requirement as a home healthcare CNA so this was expected! OHSU is very big on applicants with excellent, long-term HCE from my understanding.

Archived