Medical Informatics

How did they get into it?

Ha, well, the one guy, who is the head of IT sort of stumbled into it. It was years ago, and his hospital chain was just starting an EMR and using different programs. He spoke up about some concerns he had...and they all looked around and said, well, okay, can you start a committee to address those? None of the docs wanted any part of it...it sorta grew from there, and next thing you know, he is down to only one day a week practicing clinically and spends all of his time pretty much over an entire IT department.

Glad to see interest in this field. I'm a PA with a strong interest, and grad school education in formal philosophy. I combine philosophy of technology with philosophy of science/medicine to blog at http://judgementofthamus.blogspot.com/ and I write the Tech articles on "The Forum." I have little interest in evaluating one EMR over another, IT issues, etc; other than how they effect the philosophical infrastructure of the clinician/patient relationship. I'm in full-time clinical practice in a frontier county in Oregon.

Among the many stumbling blocks in the implementation of an EMR that is minimally friendly is presence of the keyboard. It leaves me slack-jawed incredulous that we have a 21st century piece of hardware that is a slave to another piece of hardware that was invented in 1826 - the qwerty keyboard. The qwerty keyboard was invented in 1826 and it is basically unchanged since then.

What? Yes.

Someday, some rocket scientist will invent something that will eliminate the keyboard. Then EVERYTHING will change. Until then, its more and more of cognitive dissonance: 21st century hardware endlessly yoked to early 19th century hardware. Absurd.

Keep Smiling :wink:

Keir Todd, PA-C, M.Ed.

btw: "Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum" - I like it.

Archived