Presenting at conference worth the time/money?

My old graduate school recently contacted me to present my thesis at a regional sports science conference this spring. Is there any benefit to presenting a poster at a conference if my ultimate goal is in health care, not kinesiology? I know PA schools focuse on HCE more and going to this conference means missing 2 days in my EMT-I class, taking time away from studying for pre-req courses, as well as $200+ out of pocket to travel 12 hours to the conference. I’ve never been to a conference so I don’t know how beneficial these things are.

Any thoughts for those who are in PA school or have some type of research experience?

I don't know how far reaching your thesis is or if it's been published. Being published in a reputable trade journal can carry a bit of weight. It shows an academic ability coupled with an appreciation of hard work/attention to detail. I think it could leave an impression at in interview. PA trade journals, the AMA, and several other publications are always on the prowl for someone who can write worth a darn.

That being said..this is about presenting, not being published. If you are presenting a thesis that hasn't been published, I am not sure it's worth the sacrifice, time, and effort. Last year I presented for a search/rescue conference. It was a two hour gig for which I received my full day's wage (was a paramedic making about 26/hr), full access to the weekend long conference, dinner/drinks one night, a gift package with a new knife included, and lodging. And I was just one of the random filler classes, had about 20 people out of a few hundred attend.

So if they up the ante to have you present, consider it. Public speaking is something you can never get enough experience/practice at.

Good luck

I presented my data for my masters thesis at Ohio's Physiological Association. I was actually selected for an oral presentation. Prior to this I had presented at a previous state-wide conference and had been published twice (all material based on my thesis work). I had already been accepted to a PA program, but I knew that going to a conference to talk shop would be beneficial. The truth is that you don't know who you'll run in to at these conferences. At the OPA conference there was a phys professor who helped select Toledo's incoming PA class. Additionally, if you hope to enter the medical field in any form or shape, you'll be attending conferences where you may or may not be presenting, but you will be meeting many people in your field. It's a great place to learn a lot from your peers. Do it!

Archived