How do I get back to work after taking time off to raise a family?

I graduated from PA school in 1992. I worked for a solid seven years as a PA. I chose to stay home for 10 years to raise and start a family. I am now ready to go back to work. I have sent out many resumes. Those that have responded said they can't hire me because I don't have recent experience. I am certified in ACLS AND PALS and studying for the recert PA exam. How so I get back into the profession I loved so much. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You are not alone. I did the same thing. I chose to take time off to raise my family--now going on 11 years. I began this process about a year ago. I am certified and licensed and have been told the same thing. I have really been grieving the loss of my career. I did not know I would not be aloud to re-enter the profession. I need recent experience but no way to get it. I now find myself as a single parent and not able to work-- at least not as a PA. I became a PA in my early 20's and never really did anything else. I worked for 11 years as a PA. Let me know how things work out for you and if you find any solutions.

I am a pre-PA so take this for what it is worth to you. While shadowing I met a great PA who works for an agency and is a "substitute PA" in several medical offices in the area. Maybe that is a possibility in your area? Also, maybe you could volunteer at a free clinic or Planned Parenthood or something like that just to get back into some form of practice? Or maybe apply for one of the residencies that are available if moving is an option. Best wishes to you both!

Archived