Professional Advice

I'm in desperate need of some professional advice. I did my PA training on the east coast, and when I graduated last year, my husband and I made the decision to relocate back to North Dakota. We live in a more "urban" area of ND, where there aren't a lot of loan repayment opportunities available (as I initially expected), and where jobs for PAs are actually relatively difficult to come by. After 4 months of looking, I was offered an ortho position, which I happily accepted. Fast forward another 4 months, and I find myself in a nightmare of a job. I'm supervised by 2 very different orthopaedic surgeons--one who gives me adequate freedom and responsibility for my ability level, but who is an absolute jerk to me--and another who is a really pleasant individual to work for/with, but who relies heavily on his orthopaedic assistant. My first question upon starting my job was, "what the heck is an orthopaedic assistant?" I was informed this is a person with limited medical training (this particular one is an athletic trainer), who first assists in surgery and does casting and splinting in the clinic. Where I trained, PAs first-assisted in surgery, but apparently not at this hospital. Here, the OA even does deep closures of incisions, which absolutely astonishes me. So, when we go into the OR, I cut sutures for the orthopaedic assistant, and basically function in the same capacity as a medical/PA student. I have absolutely had it with this job. If I'm not being treated like a medical student, I'm being treated like garbage (which I guess is probably one in the same!). Reasoning with these individuals does not seem to go anywhere. My voice is constantly drowned out, and my complaints/criticisms go unaddressed.

I said all of that to say this...there is an urgent care opening (which is my true interest at heart) at the hospital where I'm employed, and I desperately want to internally apply for it. I'm not the type of person to only work somewhere for a few months and then jump ship, and I don't want to leave that impression. My original goal was to make it one year in my current job, but the thought of sticking it out for another 8 months absolutely sickens me. I guess my question is, is it totally unprofessional to attempt to leave a job after only 4 months, and will it raise red flags for future potential employers? What is the likelihood that I would even be considered for the urgent care position having only been at my current position for 4 months? I'd greatly appreciate advice from anyone with similar personal experience, or some seasoned PAs. Thanks so much.

P.S. I did not sign a contract for this position, if that makes any difference.

Where in ND out of curiousity?

His "OA" sounds like an Orthopedic PA or OPA. There were several programs at one time, including one at Iowa which graduated a bunch of them. Tennessee has a group of Orthopods that is trying to revive the training programs. They received no pharmacology or general medical training, but they are usually a pretty bright bunch when it comes to Ortho. I've worked with many of them in the past, and we still employ several. As they retire, they are being replaced by PA's.

What's really crazy, is that there was a 2-3 year period in the late seventies, when if you graduated from an OPA program, you are eligible to get a PA license, and write orders, etc. We have one still on staff from there.

IIRC, the last program closed in the early nineties. They still have a national organization, and they're still around, but many are retiring or close to retirement.

Who knows though, if this group in Tennessee is successful, we may yet see them again....

Where in ND out of curiousity?

His "OA" sounds like an Orthopedic PA or OPA. There were several programs at one time, including one at Iowa which graduated a bunch of them. Tennessee has a group of Orthopods that is trying to revive the training programs. They received no pharmacology or general medical training, but they are usually a pretty bright bunch when it comes to Ortho. I've worked with many of them in the past, and we still employ several. As they retire, they are being replaced by PA's.

What's really crazy, is that there was a 2-3 year period in the late seventies, when if you graduated from an OPA program, you are eligible to get a PA license, and write orders, etc. We have one still on staff from there.

IIRC, the last program closed in the early nineties. They still have a national organization, and they're still around, but many are retiring or close to retirement.

Who knows though, if this group in Tennessee is successful, we may yet see them again....

This person is not an OPA...I did a little Google research after I first started here on OPAs. He worked as an Athletic Trainer for the hospital, and when an Orthopedic Assistant job opened up, he applied and received all of his training on the job. I'm not saying that he isn't good at what he does--I just was not accustomed to seeing an athletic trainer doing the job of a PA in the OR, and I was a little unclear on just what exactly his scope of practice should be. He can first-assist as good as any of the PAs I had the opportunity to train with, but then why am I there??? To hold retractors and cut sutures?? That makes no sense.

in house job discriptions cover a lot of ground...know a few opa..very skilled and bright. and about to retire. 2 of 3 were military trained and very good at their job .. but as said above, not a PA-C. ortho is fun, but the job sounds like it sucks. Urgent care is fun but it can suck as well. Talk with your doc. tell him you want to first assist if you do and he will have to want to take the time to train you the way he wants you to operate. he may just dread the process. be up front with your needs and wants. if they dont mesh with your docs, move on..now. good luck

Are you sure he is not an orthopedic tech? What your describing is that of an ATC working also as an OTC. Many ATC's that work in hospital settings are designated "physician extenders" or take the exam to become an Certified Ortho Tech, which after 6 months on the job are eligible. And this job does include first assist among many things that PAs may do in orthopedics.

http://www.naot.org/sections/about.orthotics.php

http://www.naot.org/sections/about.standards.php

IF you are truely not happy, and

IF the UC job seems stable (why are they looking? has there been a large turnover? Have they used PAs in the past? Can you talk to one of them?, Will they use you appropriately? Let you grow? not confineyou too much, not give you too much or too little rsponsiblitiy?, and the pay is adequate, then by all means, take it.

Be couteous and give fair notice to your current employer.

davis

Archived