Include uncertified MA on PS and application?

I work as a medical assistant but I'm not certified. When filling out the Health Care Experience section on CASPA, should I include the word "uncertified"? How about in my personal statement? I'm not sure if it's necessary since I won't be filling out the Health Related Training where certifications need to be listed. Thanks.

No. Do not include the word "uncertified" anywhere in your application. You are a "Medical Assistant", so you can put that down. Just don't put down "Certified Medical Assistant" since you don't have your CMA or RMA. Do not go out of your way to make your experience any less than what it is. There is no federal requirement that MA's have to be certified, so you simply refer to yourself as an MA. Once you get certified, then you can use CMA or RMA depending on where you got certified from.

Good Luck!

I am a medical assistant in Washington state. I was once certified as a CMA, but I let the certification lapse because it isn't required......and too busy working on prerequisites for PA school. Anyway.... I have to hold licenses through the state for both my Health Care Assistant and X-ray Tech duties (they call MAs "health care assistants" in Washington). I listed my licenses in the "Health Related Training" section on my CASPA application. It shows that I am licensed through the state to work as a medical assistant and limited x-ray tech, but does not say whether or not I am certified or not. Working as an MA IS direct patient care and qualifies for most, if not all PA programs. I agree with ToppDog; I would never put "uncertified" on an application. Even though it isn't required, there is a little negative connotation that makes you appear a less qualified applicant.

Good luck!

Sara

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the above. There's no need to put the word uncertified in your application. I had worked as a pharmacy technician when I applied. I wasn't certified. I just listed pharm tech in my health care experience section. There was no need to point out that I wasn't certified. That information could be gathered by the fact that I didn't list a pharm tech certification. You're not being deceitful by stated that you've worked as an MA. It's the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived